Host CD options, /media location

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
publicme

Host CD options, /media location

Post by publicme »

Installing XP into my Ubuntu 7.10 setup, my Virtualbox Host CD options are /dev/cdrom/ and /dev/fd0, but my physical drive is located at: /media/cdrom0

How do I allow Virtualbox to access /media?

The problem: Using Virtualbox 1.5.2, when I tried to install XP on Ubuntu 7.10, I got a fatal error: "No bootable medium found! System halted", so I tried the ISO file approach, which booted fine, however, as I'm using XP upgrade CD, I have to insert an old Win98 CD into my CD ROM to confirm my ownership of an original WIN copy, but the installer says it can't find the CD. I think it's not looking in the correct place again...
Last edited by publicme on 30. Dec 2007, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

If you are working with ISO images just register both CD images and change the image you are using during runtime with Devices / Unmount CD/DVD and Devices / Mount CD/DVD.

To detect your host CDROM drive appropriately you should install the libhal-dev package. This should be not necessary anymore with VirtualBox 1.5.4.
publicme

Post by publicme »

I don't follow this entirely but I'll try it again.

Should this work if I have an XP Upgrade CD with a Windows 98 Full Version disk as the confirm disk? I own 3 MS Licence IDs and with this setup I'd use the Licence ID from an old notebook which I converted from XP (upgraded from ME) to Xubuntu only.

I still need to read past page 25 in the manual to about page 55, so maybe this explains my troubles.