Mouse Click Issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
LaJon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian 5

Mouse Click Issues

Post by LaJon »

My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I'm using the latest version of VirtualBox PUEL. I've recently been installing Linux distribution into VirtualBox to try and see what all of them are like these days. These include:
  • Fedora 14
  • Ubuntu 10.10
  • openSUSE 11.3
  • Mint 9.0
  • Debian 5
Whichever distro I've installed, with any settings I could find to tweak in VirtualBox and inside Linux itself, it's not registering some of the mouse clicks. Mouse movements work fine, and I'd say about 50% of the clicks will work correctly too. But sometimes when I try to click it just won't register and I have to mash a time or two to get it to click. This is also while windowed or in full screen.

My mouse works flawlessly in Windows itself (Windows 7 Pro 64bit), and I'm not sure whether this is a Linux issue or a VirtualBox issue since I haven't tried a Windows OS in VirtualBox to see if it does the same thing. Either way, I need to find a way to get it fixed with Linux since that's what I'm trying to use, and the mouse problems make things very difficult when navigating inside Linux. My mouse, if it matters, is a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical.

I wasn't able to find any threads or posts about it, so apologies if this is a known issue or has be discussed on the forums before. Thanks for any help that can be offered.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Mouse Click Issues

Post by Perryg »

Did you install the guest additions (in the guest)?
LaJon

Post by LaJon »

Perryg wrote:Did you install the guest additions (in the guest)?
Yes. I've tried it with and without the guest additions in all of the Linux installs. I really wanted to stick with Debian 5, which is what I first installed, but when I noticed the clicking problems I started installing all the other major distributions to see if it was the same across the board, and it was.

I'll probably try my Windows 7 install in VirtualBox tomorrow to see if it does it in that as well, since that would tell us whether it's a Linux thing or something else. I'll also try with one of my other mice to see if it could be my mouse conflicting with VirtualBox or Linux in some way.
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

just guesswork, in the VBox guest "system" settings: uncheck the "absolute pointing device"
LaJon

Post by LaJon »

fixedwheel wrote:just guesswork, in the VBox guest "system" settings: uncheck the "absolute pointing device"
Fancy. That did the trick. Thanks. :D
cabalamat

Post by cabalamat »

I have a similar problem to the original poster; my mouse movements work, but clicks don't.
fixedwheel wrote:uncheck the "absolute pointing device"
Where is this under? -- I can't find it.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

cabalamat wrote:I have a similar problem to the original poster; my mouse movements work, but clicks don't.

Where is this under? -- I can't find it.
That could be because the post is 5 years old. Many things have changed.

There is now a drop down menu that normally defaults to USB Tablet. You can try changing it to PS/2 mouse. If that doesn't work…

Minimum information needed for assistance.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.