Ubuntu 10.10 guest freezes randomly

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Isarian
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: FC13x64

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 guest freezes randomly

Post by Isarian »

I'm seeing similar problems with Fedora Core 13. When I get to 3+ cores on an Intel i5 or an i7, the Fedora Core guest starts to lock up after just opening a few browser windows. Where is this bug report?
cburton
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10

Post by cburton »

This definitely seems to NOT be random for me. It occurs whenever I am trying to copy/download/manipulate large files or sets of files.
inodb
Guest OSses: ubuntu, debian

Post by inodb »

I have the same problem and akat's resolution is working for me.
Thanks Akats ! This issue was driving me crazy ! I've decremented number of processors to 1
and until now no more freezes.

I have pretty much the same configuration : win7 64bit core i7 virtualbox 3.2.6.
I originaly upgraded my system from 10.04 to 10.10. Maverick is fully updated...
I have tested with 3.2.10, 3.2.8, 3.2.6 versions of virtualbox and same problem (!)
maybe it's more related with ubuntu than with virtualbox, i don't know...
akats
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by akats »

You're quite welcome:-)

Here is the bug report I submitted. Feel free to add to it. http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7619
cburton
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10

Post by cburton »

Posted my info on there for support.
g15
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by g15 »

I have the same problem too. Initially it used to freeze very frequently. However the number of freezes reduced after I enabled 3D acceleration in VirtualBox. I don't know if I am supposed to enable 3D acceleration always and hence the issue could be only due to the number of processors. I will change processor settings and check again.
molohov
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10, Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Post by molohov »

Hey guys,

Running Win7 x64, Ubuntu 10.10 guest. Core i5 processor.
I can confirm that lowering the number of processors works. I upped it to 3 to try and grab more performance, but then this issue occured.
Lowered to two, and its stable now :)

Cheers
leonbnu

Post by leonbnu »

I have the same problem, but with LMDE (liquorix kernel). It freezes randomly but all happened at the time saving documents. Changed from 2 cores to 1 core, disabled IO APIC. So far, this seemed worked. but it has been only 4 hours.
g15

Post by g15 »

I can confirm is it because of the number of processors. 3D acceleration is not the cause although I don't know how it reduced the number of freezes initially. I am on the T7250 dual core processor and VB does not hang if I set the number of processors to 1 and disable IO APIC.
lurker73
Guest OSses: UberStudent, Ubuntu 10.10

Post by lurker73 »

Confirmed here, too:
Win7 64bits host (AMD Phenom X6 CPU) with:
- UberStudent guest running OK with 3 processors... no hangs I can recall
- Ubuntu 10.10... Hangs at boot with 3 CPU's (several minutes, up to 6 or so, or even more, to boot) and, once running, random freezes. Works well (still too long to boot, randomly, but just a couple of minutes at most) with 1 CPU
bertje
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Ubuntu/MATE/Server 16.04, 18.04, 20.04, 21.04, 22.04, 23.10, Windows XP/7/10/11

Post by bertje »

I've the same problem with Windows 7 64-bit (host) and Ubuntu 10.10 x86 32-bit (guest) on two different Intel Core I7 920 computers with 6GB RAM. Most of the times it occurs once in a full working day.

Is a solution available for this annoying bug?
joaocardoso

Post by joaocardoso »

I have windows 7 32bit as host, Virtualbox 3.2.10 and after installing ubuntu for the firstb time all went ok. They I started to play with Ubuntu configuration and for some reason it froze. After reseting the VBox session, and fire up the Ubuntu guess again, it hanged before even reaching login. A reboot of the Windows 7 host and this time I managed to start the Ubuntu guess, login and open firefox. As soon as I opened firefox it was stuck again. One more reboot and no luck. This time it froze even before the Ubuntu letters came up.

I gave up and decided to re-install everything again. During the instalation process everything was going ok until the screen where we name the machine and create a user. At that step it froze again. I gave up.

This seems to be a VBOX issue not Ubunto per se. I'm going to install a new distro, OpenSuse and see how it goes.

Anyone with tips is very welcome.
joaocardoso

Post by joaocardoso »

I think I found out the problem

I've installed a fresh OpenSUSE 10.3 and everything worked great. Even got good windows effects on the VM without installing any addins. Then i decided to install 200mb of updates.

All updates downloaded ok but by half way though the installation of the updates, as soon as I tried to move one window, the guess OS was frozen. Nothing moved other than the mouse pointer. Trying to access any of the menus on the VBox window would just make VBox stop responding. The exact same symptom I had with Ubuntu.

The common denominator? I ran the software update.

I believe that its an update to one of the OS modules that is causing this issue. What? I have no idea. But would love to get some help to solve this. 2 different distros with 2 different gui and the exact same problem? cant be a coincidence.

Cheers
g15

Post by g15 »

This is strange now. I changed the settings back to two processors and it's been more than 16 hours and I don't have any freezes yet. I am able to work normally with heavy cpu and ram usages. As mentioned in the previous post could it be because of updates with Ubuntu? I install any updates as soon as they are available.

Update: Now it's almost 24 hours and there's not a single freeze yet. Is this happening to anyone else?
elirov
Guest OSses: ubuntu64

Post by elirov »

Windows 7 x64 host
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 guest
I'm still getting the same problem. 2-cores works great. So far, I'm stable for about a week, even through host sleeps.
As soon as I try 3 cores, I get random freezes within hours of use.