Ubuntu hangs during installation phase

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
slowmo

Ubuntu hangs during installation phase

Post by slowmo »

Have been trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 as a Guest OS onto a Windows XP Host machine. I have been using an .iso image file on the hard drive to try and install from and the installation process gets as far as 82% "Scanning the mirror" and then hangs.

After some reading I realised that this version may not be fully supported so I tried installing Ubuntu 7.04 from the CD. This time I got to 83% "Downloading package lists" before the installation process hung.

I have looked on various forums for answers but have not been able to find one specific to this. So I'm going to include the settings that I have used below and apologise if I include too much information. I'm new to Linux and VM software so I'm not entirely sure what to include.

The only settings that differed during the 2 different attempts were that in the first attempt the CD/DVD-ROM was pointed at the .iso file on my hard drive and for the 7.04 attempt it was F: drive.

My Computer

Running Windows XP Professional 2002 service pack 2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
1 GB of RAM

Virtual Machine Setup

OS Type: Linux 2.6
Base Memory: 512 MB
Video Memory: 8 MB
Boot Order: Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk
ACPI: Enabled
IO ACPI: Disabled

Hard Disk: Primary Master
Ubuntu 7.10 (desktop).vdi (Normal, 25.00 GB)
CD/DVD-ROM: F:
Floppy: Not mounted
Audio: Disabled
Network: Adapter 0 NAT
Serial Ports: Disabled
Shared Folders: None
Remote Display: Disabled

Manually setup partitions which have the following properties:

Partition 1

Partition Type: Primary
File Type: Ext3
Mounted at: /
Size: 10 GB

Partition 2

Partition Type: Logical
File Type: SWAP
Mounted at:
Size: 2 GB

Partition 3

Partition Type: Logical
File Type: Ext3
Mounted at: /home
Size: 13 GB

If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. Thanks.
seano288

Any ideas?

Post by seano288 »

I'm also experiencing this exact same problem. Ubuntu install hangs at 82% (scanning the mirror).

Does anyone have any ideas why?
Telcontar2k8

Post by Telcontar2k8 »

I already posted this in a different thread, where someone has experienced some problems while installing a ubuntu system.
Looking at your configuration, I see you set your RAM quite high, but your Graphic Memory quite low.
Maybe you should find more of a balance there. Let's say put Graphic to 64 and RAM to 392. This should work (it did for me in old versions of ubuntu in combination with old versions of virtualbox).