Can't find Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mihle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-9.04 32bit

Can't find Guest Additions

Post by mihle »

Hi,
I have Virtual Box 3.0.12 (german) on host win7 and installed a guest Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit as guest.
After selecting Install Guest Additions from the menu, I receive a mounted CD with just one folder OS2 and a readme.txt telling me, that the VBoxAdditions moved. But I just don't understand what the readme is supposed to tell me:

the windows guest addition drivers were removed from this directory to save space on your hard drive. To get the files you have to extract them from the Windows Guest Additions installlers:

To extract the 32-bit drivers to "C:\Drivers", do the following:
VBoxWindows Additions -x86 /extract /D=C:/Drivers

-- but where are these? What do I have to do? Also the manuals do not give any help. Is there anybody, who might explain to me, what has to be done?

Thanks in advance.
Monika
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Can't find Guest Additions

Post by Sasquatch »

Follow my howto, that describes exactly what and how.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
i_loveoravleeee

Post by i_loveoravleeee »

I don't know what post sasquatch is talking about. I had the same problem, and did the instructions in README.txt by extracting that ISO (found in the VirtualBox folder in Program Files) and putting the contents in a new folder, then running the command specified in the README.txt you pasted from. Then I went into the virtual machine in a terminal and ran 'cd /media/cdrom' then 'sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run'. I had another problem with permissions which was solved with help from this page: http://blog.ackx.net/virtualbox-guest-a ... rrors.html

Good luck
Last edited by i_loveoravleeee on 20. Jun 2017, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Is anyone reading the manual? Tutorials, FAQs, HowTos, everything except the user manual. Try chapter 4.3...

There is absolutely no need to do what you did.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.