Rename-and-overwrite doesn't work

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dg

Rename-and-overwrite doesn't work

Post by dg »

I'm having severe problems trying to use svn or unison on a shared folder. I've managed to track it down to this:
$ touch x y
$ mv x y
mv: cannot move `x' to `y': Protocol error
Is there any way to make this work? It's a fairly severe violation of Posix file system semantics, and is causing lots of things to break...
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

At least your test and checking out using svn work with the development version. As far as I recall, all fixes were backported to version 1.5.2, so perhaps you could give that a try when it is released? (Should be in a week or two, although I can't give a definite date).
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

The problem is still present in 1.5.2. Is there an easy way of getting the fix without having to build the Windows VBox host?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Did you reinstall the guest additions from VirtualBox 1.5.2 when you updated? Note that there will be some additional fixes in 1.5.4.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

I hadn't used VirtualBox before 1.5.2, so it was a clean install, not an update.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

For the benefit of others who might have the same problem, I just realized that there is a pretty simple work-around: use Windows's sharing and mount the shared folder using CIFS. Surely not as efficient as using VBox's shared folders, but it works.