3.0.6 not booting Ubuntu variants (64-bit guests)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Re: 3.0.6 not booting Ubuntu variants (64-bit guests)

Post by sej7278 »

funny, the reasons you have given for using a 32-bit host, seems like exactly the reason to run those within virtualbox instead of on the host itself, you've got it kinda backwards :mrgreen:

i must admit i almost had to run a 32-bit os on my fileserver as i didn't think i'd get my proprietary epson scanner/printer driver working, but i managed it with a bit of hacking.

fedora is particularly good at allowing you to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit host as it just pulls in the 32-bit libraries, something that was a major hassle to do with ubuntu, but possible.
TeutonJon78
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by TeutonJon78 »

well, regardless of why people are running 64-bit guests on a 32-bit host, there is a bug somewhere.

It has been part of VB for a few releases now (since 3.0?). It worked in 3.0.4 and the upgrade to 3.0.6 stopped them from working. So there is a bug somewhere. That's the important part.

anyone have any fixes for that?
dmcgraw
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by dmcgraw »

sej7278 wrote:funny, the reasons you have given for using a 32-bit host, seems like exactly the reason to run those within virtualbox instead of on the host itself, you've got it kinda backwards :mrgreen:

i must admit i almost had to run a 32-bit os on my fileserver as i didn't think i'd get my proprietary epson scanner/printer driver working, but i managed it with a bit of hacking.

fedora is particularly good at allowing you to run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit host as it just pulls in the 32-bit libraries, something that was a major hassle to do with ubuntu, but possible.
You point is valid for the example I gave about the Cisco VPN client.

But it does not help when a 64 bit hardware driver is not available.
Hortnon
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

Post by Hortnon »

Same problem here. No 64-bit guests work on my 32-bit XP. Reverting to 3.0.4...
philh
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, OpenSUSE

Post by philh »

I am having the exact same problem. After upgrading to Virtualbox 3.0.6 from 2.2.4, none of my 64-bit guests work anymore. These include the Windows 7 RC, as well as two OpenSUSE guests. Just as others have mentioned, they start to load, but then freeze early on, such as during the Windows 7 or OpenSUSE splash screens, and they continue to consume about 50% of CPU resources until the machine is terminated. All of my 32-bit guests are working perfectly. The host is running Windows XP SP3 (32-bit). My computer has VT enabled in the BIOS, and I have the VT-x box checked for all of my guests. All guests, including the 64-bit guests, were working perfectly in 2.2.4, and I haven't changed any of the guest settings. I am wondering if this is a problem with all 64-bit guests on all 32-bit hosts, or if it is limited to hosts with Intel VT-x. Is anyone with an AMD machine also having problems booting 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts? Also, does anyone know if a bug has been filed on this issue yet? Thanks!
TeutonJon78

Post by TeutonJon78 »

I didn't know we could file bugs....bug away....

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4959

There is also this associated bug (which would really be the same one)
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4947
Papo06
Guest OSses: Debian Etch 64bits (amd64)

Post by Papo06 »

Hello,

Same issue, installed vbox 3.0.6 and my debian etch-half 64bits (amd64 arch) doesn't boot anymore, stay stuck in "loading kernel", in Windows XP Pro 32 bits, booting is impossible.

For curious people asking "why some of us are running 64 bits guest on 32 bits hosts", it's simple, at work, desktop pc are windows xp pro 32 bits, no other choice (corporate choice...) but we are using debian etch 64 bits in production without X11, so we are using vbox to debug because even dev servers have no X11 (so there no kdbg, kcachegrind, etc...) using vbox is really practical for us to debug c++ code :wink:

Pascal
TeutonJon78

Post by TeutonJon78 »

TeutonJon78 wrote:I didn't know we could file bugs....bug away....

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4959

There is also this associated bug (which would really be the same one)
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4947

Well, not surprisingly, they duped my bug for the earlier one. So, follow http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4947 if you want to know the progress.
TomTom61
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04 Server 64Bit

Post by TomTom61 »

I'm running Debian Lenny (32Bit) with VB 3.0.6 - every attempt to install a debian based (debian, ubuntu, ubuntu-server etc.) 64Bit guest fails with the symptoms described above for the Windows hosts.
TeutonJon78

Post by TeutonJon78 »

TomTom61 wrote:I'm running Debian Lenny (32Bit) with VB 3.0.6 - every attempt to install a debian based (debian, ubuntu, ubuntu-server etc.) 64Bit guest fails with the symptoms described above for the Windows hosts.
well, one other person has reported this problem as well (Linux 32-bit host). So, it's not directly host related, which at least is a good thing (and bad because that means it's a more fundamental problem).
TeutonJon78

Post by TeutonJon78 »

It looks like the developers found the bug and fixed it. You can get a test build on the 4947 bug report page. Someone reported that it did fix the problem. I'll just wait for 3.0.8 to come out to upgrade from 3.0.4.
philh
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, OpenSUSE

Post by philh »

I just downloaded and installed the test build, and it seems to have fixed the problem. All of my 64-bit guests are now working again, and my 32-bit guests continue to work as well. I didn't test extensively, but I didn't encounter any problems.
ghchinoy
Guest OSses: Windows 2003, 2008R2, 7; Fedora 11

Post by ghchinoy »

I'd love to test the 3.0.7 beta but every time I try to install it, my machine reboots in an ungracious manner. I get through a few of the driver installation warnings and then a restart happens. I'm on an XP SP3 box.

Does VirtualBox installer write a log someplace that I can post here or to a bug tracker?

Thanks

As a follow up, after another attempt and another inexplicable reboot from the installer, 3.0.7 does seem to be installed enough to fire up. 3.0.7 has fixed my x64 client on x32 host issues. Can't wait for the final release :)
Last edited by ghchinoy on 18. Sep 2009, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Hortnon
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

Post by Hortnon »

The test build fixed the issue for me.
supriano
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

Post by supriano »

I have the same issue running on Ubuntu 64-bit host any 64-bit guests. 32-bit guests works normally.

Does current bug will fix this issue as well or should I file another bug for virtualbox?

New Info: Just found out that disabling 3D acceleration I could boot Ubuntu 64-bit. Wierd....

Thanks,
Anderson