Can't mount shared folder with ubuntu feisty on XP host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sderrien

Can't mount shared folder with ubuntu feisty on XP host

Post by sderrien »

Hello,

I´m desesperatly trying to mount a shared folder on my unbuntu 7.04 guest, I created a folder et "E:\projects", and configure the folder as a shared folder with the VB GUI (named "projects").

whenever I try to mount a shared folder with

mount -t vboxsf projects /projects/

I get the following error message :

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device

I have installed the Linux guest additions, I have created the directory /projects on my guest OS, and I have triple-checked the spelling of my command.

I have seen in this forum that there are issues with shared folders on Ubuntu, however it seems that most of the reported problems are happening *after* mounting.

I am comsidering changing guest lisnux distro, but i am not too sure which one is the best bet.

I somebody can help, I'd appreciate ...

Steven
sderrien

Solution : use samba ...

Post by sderrien »

Hi,

I found a alternative solution to my problem (which is probably the most practical solution), I just put it here for the record.

The solution is to share a XP folder through samba (explorer, folder peorperies, share this folder, etc.). On the linux guest, you simply need to mount the samba folder using the following command :

sudo smbmount //<HOST_IP>/<XPFOLDNAME> <LINUXFOLDNAME> / -o username=<user>,workgroup=<workgroup>,uid=<sderrien>

In my case the XP host IP address was 10.0.2.2 (I use NAT), you can obtain it with the 'route' command (ip adress of the default gateway).

Hope it can help,

Steven
jamesh0317

Make sure the kernel module is loaded...

Post by jamesh0317 »

sudo modprobe vboxvfs
kapamaroo

Post by kapamaroo »

I think I had the same problem with the mount command for a shared folder. Try these:

Open the linux guest OS
Go to menu-> Devices -> Install Guest Additions.
This mounts a cd image named VBOXADDITIONS...something_else.
Inside the cd image there is a script called VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, run this script, reboot the virtual machine and then give the mount command (eg. mount -t vboxsf shared /media/shared).
This worked for me and probably works for everyone!

ps: i use the non-free 1.5.6 version of virtualbox but i don't think this affects the problem (maybe it does, i can't say)

You may also need to change a little the command in order to view inside the folder as a normal user and not only as root.
(sorry if this is bad english :) )