Mouse issues in Virtualbox

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JawsThemeSwimming428

Mouse issues in Virtualbox

Post by JawsThemeSwimming428 »

I have been using Virtualbox for a pretty long time, almost a year and a half. I think it is an amazing product and I really don't have too many issues with it. One thing that has been driving me nuts and has been happening for a while is the issues I am having with mouse movement in a VM. I am running Virtualbox 2.1.2 on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit (although I have been having the issue since well before the 2.0 release). When I install any Linux distro in Virtualbox as a guest, I have strange mouse problems. What happens is when moving the mouse, whether it be on the desktop or with an application on the screen, the mouse pointer will run in to a portion of the screen that it can't pass. This is with and without Guest Additions installed and in fullscreen mode. For example, I recently installed Arch in a VM with kdemod 4.2. I have everything setup and working the way I would like for now, but frequently the mouse will just not be able to pass a part of the screen that it should. It's like it runs into an invisible brick wall. The only way to get the mouse past it is to frantically move the cursor all over the screen until it eventually passes that point. It happens with vertical movement as well as horizontal and it can happen at any point on the screen, whether it be in the middle or near the edge. I am not sure if this has been reported before or is an isolated issue but I would appreciate any assistance I can be given. Thanks!
LinuxLion

Post by LinuxLion »

There seems to be an performance issue with the new 2.1.2

It is allready worked on.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

As a temp workaround use RDP to access the guest, no mouse problems there.
chris01282

Post by chris01282 »

I am suffering from the strange mouse issue as JawsThemeSwimming428.

Any solution would be great as I have changed back to vmware until a fix is posted, as it drives me nuts.

Thanks
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I was having all kinds or mouse issues and decided to put the host mouse in the ps2 slot instead of the USB and all of my problems went away. Don't know if this will help you or not but it is really nice to have a wheel mouse actually work in VB. :-)
JawsThemeSwimming428

Perryg wrote:I was having all kinds or mouse issues and decided to put the host mouse in the ps2 slot instead of the USB and all of my problems went away. Don't know if this will help you or not but it is really nice to have a wheel mouse actually work in VB. :-)
That may work for some users but a lot of people (myself included) are using USB mice and may not have a PS2 port. I wish I did!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

JawsThemeSwimming428 wrote:
Perryg wrote:I was having all kinds or mouse issues and decided to put the host mouse in the ps2 slot instead of the USB and all of my problems went away. Don't know if this will help you or not but it is really nice to have a wheel mouse actually work in VB. :-)
That may work for some users but a lot of people (myself included) are using USB mice and may not have a PS2 port. I wish I did!

Yeah I figured that as well, but for those who do it will make the mousing experence so much better. I tried everything and edited all kinds of files but it turns out that it has something to do with the way VBox handles the USB ports. I know that my printer has problems from time to time. I don't think that the USB ports are shared very nicely and that is what caused my problems.

With that said I bet the VBox people are hard at getting this thing fixed.
JawsThemeSwimming428

Perryg wrote:
JawsThemeSwimming428 wrote:

Yeah I figured that as well, but for those who do it will make the mousing experence so much better. I tried everything and edited all kinds of files but it turns out that it has something to do with the way VBox handles the USB ports. I know that my printer has problems from time to time. I don't think that the USB ports are shared very nicely and that is what caused my problems.

With that said I bet the VBox people are hard at getting this thing fixed.
I would hope so... I am beginning to migrate some of my VM's to VMWare Workstation because the issue was too difficult to work with. It is a real pain in the butt!!!!!!
Cody-V

Post by Cody-V »

Had this problem on my laptop once, running Ubuntu, but that's the only distro I had a problem with really. (And it definitely is annoying as all get out) (Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit)
JawsThemeSwimming428

Re:

Cody-V wrote:Had this problem on my laptop once, running Ubuntu, but that's the only distro I had a problem with really. (And it definitely is annoying as all get out) (Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit)
This issue was too much to deal with, I have stopped using Virtualbox at all. VMWare does not have these issues and runs just as good.
JawsThemeSwimming428

Re: Mouse issues in Virtualbox

Has this issue been fixed? If not, is a fix in the works? With what release?
shorawitz
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Gentoo, WinXP, CentOS

Re: Mouse issues in Virtualbox

Post by shorawitz »

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread, but it's somewhat related....

I was having trouble w/VB 2.2.0 r45846 on Mint64 (Ubuntu 8.10 derivative) and a Gentoo64 guest. I upgraded xorg-server on the Gentoo64 install to 1.5.3-r5 and followed all of the warnings/news messages. After upgrade and some tweaking, I got the keyboard to work, but the mouse would not register clicks, only movement.

To make a long story short, I had to rebuild xorg-server w/the following:

/etc/make.conf
INPUT_DEVICES="virtualbox"
VIDEO_CARDS="virtualbox"

I copied:
cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/90-vboxguest.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/

reinstalled the 2.2.0 Guest Additions and viola! Mouse started to work.

Maybe this can help someone else with similar issues.