Solved: Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 Freeze after "Starting up .

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Telengard
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows XP

Solved: Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 Freeze after "Starting up .

Post by Telengard »

Hi, need some guidance with this problem please. I'll gladly provide any needed information to help fix this.

The problem

Kubuntu completely freezes my computer whenever I switch on the machine. The freeze happens after the grub menu passes, and I see the text Starting up ..., and then freezes. It locks up hard enough that I must reset the computer to force reboot. After the reset the computer boots to my desktop normally. If I switch off the machine, it will lock up the same way next time I switch it on.

What I've done

After power on I quickly press ESCape to see the grub menu. Then I choose to edit the kernel line Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic. From the kernel line I delete quiet splash so I can see the boot messages. Then I command it to boot. The last message displayed before the machine locks up is:
[ 16.443267] NET: Registered protocol family 2 (The numbers in square brackets change every time.)

Searched the Kubuntuforums ( http://kubuntuforums.net ) on error message, didn't find any fix.

Googled for
Kubuntu "NET: Registered protocol faimily 2"
The 12,300 hits all seem to result from people posting their logs, not really helping my problem.

Posted this message in Kubuntuforums ( http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3085669.0 ) and in VirtualBox end user forums ( ).

Possibly needed information

I am running Kubuntu inside VirtualBox 1.4.0 ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ ), and it is the virutual machine which locks up. The physical host is my HP Pavilion dv8135nr Notebook running Windows XP Media Center SP2. The virtual machine with Kubuntu guest is configured as:
  • OS Type Linux 2.6
  • 512 MB base memory
  • 32 MB video memory
  • ACPI Enabled
  • IO APIC Disabled
  • 16 GB primary master
  • Network Adapter 0 NAT
  • USB Controller Disabled

Code: Select all

uname -rvmpi
2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 20:19:32 UTC 2007 i686 unknown unknown

grep "protocol family 2" /var/log/* | awk -F ":" '{ print $1 }' | sort -u
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/dmesg.0
/var/log/kern.log
/var/log/kern.log.0
/var/log/messages
/var/log/messages.0
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/syslog.0

df -h
Filesystem  Size  Used  Avail  Use%  Mounted on
/dev/hda1  16G   3.1G  12G    22%   /
varrun        189M 108K 189M  1%     /var/run
varlock       189M  0      189M  0%     /var/lock
udev          189M  64K  189M  1%     /dev
devshm      189M 0       189M  0%     /dev/shm
lrm             189M 33M   156M  18%   /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile
This Kubuntu was installed some time ago, and has been in daily use ever since. I've had few problems until one of the recent updates left Kubuntu in a completely unbootable state, a problem has been fixed by experimentation.

Sorry if this is too much of the wrong information. Don't know exactly how to proceed from here. Can anyone please help?
Last edited by Telengard on 24. Aug 2007, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

General>Advanced> uncheck ACPI; check IO APIC
Telengard

That helps

Post by Telengard »

stmiller wrote:General>Advanced> uncheck ACPI; check IO APIC
Hi,

I enabled IO APIC, and now Kubuntu boots normally every time I've tried it so far. I left ACPI enabled because I'm reluctant to change more than one thing at a time. Please note that IO APIC has not been enabled on this VM from the time I originally installed Kubuntu until now.

I have some reservations about this fix because I don't know what impact such changes in the virtual hardware will have on Kubuntu. I know, for example, Windows will go insane if you change certain BIOS settings after an install. Most importantly, I don't even know what the IO APIC is.

Can you please explain further what this has done?
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

Well if you have it installed and working ok, then don't change anything. The Gusty disk would not even boot for me unless I made the changes to the ACPI settings.
Telengard

Kubuntu Feisty 7.04 Freeze after "Starting up ..."

Post by Telengard »

stmiller wrote:Well if you have it installed and working ok, then don't change anything. The Gusty disk would not even boot for me unless I made the changes to the ACPI settings.
Haven't tried Gutsy Gibbon at all. I'm planning to stick it out with Feisty Fawn as long as I can while I wait for the next LTS release.

I'm considering this problem resolved since the fix you gave did work for me. Still, it would be nice if there were some explanation given for why this is necessary.