Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Tribe 3 working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
stmiller

Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 Tribe 3 working

Post by stmiller »

Tribe 3 alpha of Ubuntu Gutsy is working fine under Virtualbox 1.4.0.

I had to specify these things:
Ram: 512
Video Ram: 16
General>Advanced> uncheck ACPI; check IO APIC

and installed with the alternative CD. You might have to experiment with the ACPI checkboxes to see what works for you. Hope this helps,
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

Update:

I had a couple of problems installing from the Tribe 5 Alternative CD. I suggest using a previous Tribe cds and installing/updating.
novy

Post by novy »

Hi
Installation works Ok for tribe 5 but I have problems after I installed the guest Additions, then on restart it freezes and give this error:
running local bootscript (/etc/rc.local) [ok]
then it freezes.
I tried your UNCHECK ACPI
CHECK IO APIC
and it did not help.
Actually I had this exact same problem in Tribe 4.
novy
novy

Post by novy »

forgot one thing then I get

"the display server has been shutdown about 6 times in the last 90 seconds................wait 2 minutes and retry"
Novy
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

I avoided the guest additions installation. Seemed to work ok without it.
Beliar

Post by Beliar »

I coul install Gutsy Tribe 5, but I had too problems with the guest additions. That should be fixed till final release :/

The guest additions seem to mess up the xorg.conf and the hardened X tries to start X all the time, which wont work. After fixing my xorg.conf, I could see the GDM login screen. But when I logged in, it behaves strangely. It doesnt really crash, but I end up again in the Login screen, gnome wont load. I couldnt find anything useful in the logs, but had'n so much time to investigate.
guardian_de

Post by guardian_de »

Maybe it's also the Xinerama setting as in my case: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1511