Xubuntu VirtualBox Launch Issue - Stuck on Black Screen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
matiaspsara

Xubuntu VirtualBox Launch Issue - Stuck on Black Screen

Post by matiaspsara »

Hi, I'm having trouble launching Xubuntu on VirtualBox. After the Xubuntu logo appears, I'm stuck on a black screen and can't proceed any further. A few months ago, it worked without any issues, but now that I wanted to use the virtual machine again after a long time, it's not working. I updated VirtualBox to the latest version (7.0.8) and still encountered the black screen after attempting to launch Xubuntu. I tried a solution I found on a forum, which was to turn off Hyper-V entirely, but it didn't work. I have attached a rar file that contains the logs and a screenshot of the last thing I see before the black screen. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you!
Attachments
Xubuntu-2023-05-09-00-53-11.rar
rar file containing log and screenshot
(44.94 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Xubuntu VirtualBox Launch Issue - Stuck on Black Screen

Post by scottgus1 »

Everything in the log looks OK, and host Hyper-V is turned off.

Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This happens in real PCs too. The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. Also see How to Resize a Drive

Also try HostKey-F to toggle the VM's Fullscreen setting.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=101047&p=490855#p490855
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108854&p=533281#p533278
kfank

Re: Xubuntu VirtualBox Launch Issue - Stuck on Black Screen

Post by kfank »

I had the same issue when upgrading VB from 7.0.2 to 7.0.8. I actually got the Xubuntu login screen, but after login the screen when black except for the VB GUI at the bottom of the screen. I tried downgrading to VB 7.0.6 and had the same issue. I then downgraded back to 7.0.2 again and the VM is back to working. I have plenty of disk space so that is not the issue.