Linux (kali) vm displays error on boot up

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Puncas

Linux (kali) vm displays error on boot up

Post by Puncas »

You can find a picture of the error in the attachment. When i boot the vm that message appears. I already tried allocating an extra cpu, than it works but behaves very weird, like minimization is not possible. Windows trips out, i can't drag any windows. Services just quit randomely. (bewerkt)
I have a lenovo legion 5 pro laptop. Virtualisation is enabled in BIOS, could it be a hypervisor problem?
Attachments
Picture of the error
Picture of the error
VirtualBoxVM_RVkyYNGcEB.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Linux (kali) vm displays error on boot up

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Puncas

Post by Puncas »

I updated to windows 11 education, but still the vm's behave weird. Like cpu usage 100% the whole time. I can't even do basic tasks.
Attachments
Vbox_log.zip
Log
(33.06 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You have a mismatch between Virtualbox and Extension Pack versions.

The displayed "error" is innocuous, it's from the Linux driver for the VMSVGA video card the VM uses and will not prevent the VM from booting.

The Guest Additions are starting in the VM OS and are enabling the conformed-screen-size functionality of the GAs:
00:08:29.749270 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=000001ed6876a000 w=1705 h=940 bpp=32 cbLine=0x1AA4 flags=0x1 origin=0,0

Did the VM progress past that screenshot in this logged run? Did it make it to the desktop?

FWIW 2 processors will help a modern OS.