Win10 VB host, Linux Mint guest cannot connect via rdp

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Axe

Win10 VB host, Linux Mint guest cannot connect via rdp

Post by Axe »

I have Windows 10 pro desktop (192.168.0.40) running VirtualBox 7 as the host with a Linux Mint guest. It's set up for RDP port 3400 with a bridged network. If I use RDP on the host computer (192.168.0.40:3400), I can connect straight into the guest with no problems whatsoever. However, if I go to my laptop (192.168.0.70) and try to connect to the Linux Mint guest (192.168.0.40:3400), it won't connect at all. What gives? When I used Linux as the host, I never had any connection issues. Is Windows 10 firewall blocking the traffic?

Update: I turned off Windows 10 firewall for Guest or Public Networks and was able to connect to the VM. Now I just have to figure out how to open up the correct port. If there are any suggestions, that would be great.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win10 VB host, Linux Mint guest cannot connect via rdp

Post by scottgus1 »

Axe wrote:I turned off Windows 10 firewall for Guest or Public Networks and was able to connect to the VM.
This one is a puzzle. Bridged is supposed to go around the host firewall, so normally no ports have to be opened in a host firewall to access a Bridged VM.
Axe wrote:I turned off Windows 10 firewall for Guest or Public Networks
What this means to me is that your host was set to recognize the 192.168.0.# network as a Guest or Public network. Rules set for Public networks don't get applied on a Private network. I've always had my LAN set as a Private network, then I get the correct Bridged behavior above.

Check what your computer thinks your network is, in the Network settings.
Axe

Post by Axe »

That did the trick! My network was set to Public. After I switched it to Private, I was able to connect with the Firewall turned on.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Excellent! Glad you're up and running. This interesting quirk has been put in Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter.