Ubuntu 22.04 Wayland/gnome-shell freezes on suspend/resume

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jakobdk

Ubuntu 22.04 Wayland/gnome-shell freezes on suspend/resume

Post by jakobdk »

I have a problem with a Ubuntu 22.04 guest on a windows host. When the host (and guest) resumes from suspend, wayland and gnome-shell will hang 50% of the time. I can still ssh to the VM and use it. But the UI will be frozen until I reboot the VM, which is quite annoying. I'm using VMSVGA as the graphics controller, 3D acceleration disabled NAT networking. The host is a Windows 10 22H2 laptop (Dell XPS 9520), running Virtualbox 7.0.4.

Attached are syslogs and virtualbox logs from the latest freeze. The host was suspended on 2023-02-27 around 17 o'clock and resumed next morning, resulting in a dead gnome-shell/wayland UI. Logs are attached.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

EDIT: This is a cross-post from "Virtualbox on Windows" forum. I'm working on getting that deleted.

Best regards,
Jakob
Attachments
logfiles.zip
VBox logs and syslog
(83.54 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 Wayland/gnome-shell freezes on suspend/resume

Post by scottgus1 »

jakobdk wrote:EDIT: This is a cross-post from "Virtualbox on Windows" forum. I'm working on getting that deleted.
'Tis done. :D

I'm no Linux guru, so I don't know much about this issue. The logs were taken while the VM window was still open, so some diagnostic info is missing.

You're still running 7.0.4 in the logs.

For problems with 7.0 graphics or seize-ups:

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, try switching the 3D acceleration setting (off > on or on > off). If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

If your host OS is Linux, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then you could downgrade Virtualbox, Extension Pack and Guest Additions to 6.1.something, or at least the Guest Additions. 3D acceleration won't be possible if you only downgrade the GAs. For full 3D acceleration using the old stable code, downgrade all three.
jakobdk

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 Wayland/gnome-shell freezes on suspend/resume

Post by jakobdk »

Thanks for the tips. I've created a Bugtracker ticket. It contains a new log capture and some reasons I can't use 7.0.6 (USB device capture doesn't work there). I'll experiment with downgrading Guest Additions or whole VirtualBox to 6.1.x branch and see if that resolves it.

Best regards,
Jakob