aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
pabel

aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004)

Post by pabel »

if annotations/describing textfield of the machine => <attached pic> includes more than 8192 bytes/signs/text and if this machine with this ammount of annotations once is exported as *.ova it will not be possible to import again or use it in Virtalbox

=> ERROR-Notation while refusing to load *.ova
ApplRead ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={86a98347-7619-41aa-aece-b21ac5c1a7e6} aComponent={ApplianceWrap} aText={Element 'Annotation' exceeds limit of 8192 bytes VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW (Buffer too small to save result.)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0

are any hints if/how to import the "annotation-overloaded" machine *.ova ?

Thanks in advance
Paul
Attachments
Screenshot_20230203_162225.png
Screenshot_20230203_162225.png (92.13 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
VBoxSVC.log
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004)

Post by scottgus1 »

Why this is happening could be a limitation of the OVF standard, or a Virtualbox bug. Please report this on the Bugtracker.

How to get around it:

1. Extract the contents of the OVA file to a folder.

2. In the extraction folder, open the .ovf file in a text editor. (on Windows hosts, WordPad will work.)
Look for this section of XML:

<VirtualSystem ovf:id="VM name">
<Info>A virtual machine</Info>
<AnnotationSection>
<Info>A human-readable annotation</Info>
<Annotation>.....
</Annotation>

The VM's Description is held between the <Annotation> ... </Annotation> tags. Trim down the Description contents. I wouldn't delete everything: leave the first and second lines, since the XML looks different when there is no Description.

Save the .ovf file as text.

3. In the extraction folder, delete the .mf file. This file contains a hash of the .ovf file, and since you've changed the .ovf, the hash no longer matches.

4. Import the VM by browsing to the edited .ovf file.
pabel

Re: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004)

Post by pabel »

Thank you scottgus1 for support

removed the Annotations as you described and reimported the extracted *ova .. saved my work

i use the Annotation field for logging all my steps in buildingup new machines or any setups as helpful stepbystep reminders
those annotation grow at each buildup . . .

so it will be fine to have in each machine my specific notes and not in a seperate file

move this issue to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker

thankful greetings
Paul