Fedora 37: openvpn connection issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
_AZ_

Fedora 37: openvpn connection issues

Post by _AZ_ »

Hello,
the Fedora 37 guest can not connect to "external" sites when the host OS runs a VPN.

This is a new behavior since 2 days ago I created a new guest OS VM. The old one (now gone) Fedora 34 worked as expected - the guest could reach both local and external networks while the host OS was on VPN. Host OS (when on VPN) can reach both internal and external (e.g yahoo.com) hosts.

The guest's network is "attached to NAT". I created the guest with minimum changes - added memory and hard drives.

Thank you for looking.
Woody_98

Re: Fedora 37: openvpn connection issues

Post by Woody_98 »

I'm in the same boat, looked into it a while back and never implemented this. Seems to be an OpenVPN/Network manager issue.

I found this procedure during my research and haven't tried it. If you do, snapshot your VM beforehand and understand this is not a Fedora recommendation:

for the time being, you should downgrade to OpenVPN 2.5.5. Here are the steps, based on this answer, which also helped me a lot: https://askubuntu.com/a/1406472/1589545

uninstall current OpenVPN version:
sudo apt remove openvpn

install OpenVPN 2.5.5
go to https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jammy/amd6 ... 5-1ubuntu3
download the openvpn_2.5.5-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb file in the "Downloadable files" section
double-click on the file and open with Software Install (GUI)

mark OpenVPN not to update:
sudo apt-mark hold openvpn

reinstall NetworkManager OpenVPN GUI:
sudo apt install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
_AZ_

Re: Fedora 37: openvpn connection issues

Post by _AZ_ »

@Woody:
appreciate the reply.

I'm not quite sure if the procedure is applicable... It looks like they had an issue with VPN _inside_ the fedora guest. As in guest is running vpn to connect out. In my case, I have a different workflow - _host_ OS ( windows) is running OpenVPN. and when it does - the guest can not connect to the "internet"...

Please let me know if I'm confused.

Thank you