VirtualBox 7.x - Mouse interaction is lost once displays are rearranged.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
agilis

VirtualBox 7.x - Mouse interaction is lost once displays are rearranged.

Post by agilis »

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu Mate with VirtualBox 7.0.4. Everything works as expected until I rearrange my displays so that their orientation matches their physical orientation.

As soon as I rearrange my 2 displays, I can no longer use the mouse to interact with the UI. I cannot click "Keep This Configurarion" because Ubuntu thinks that dialog window is on a different display than where it's being displayed on.

[ Virtual1] [Virtual2] -> [Virtual2] [Virtual1]

Example 1: If a terminal window is open on the left most display, and I perform the arrangement, the terminal window is now drawn/appears on the right most display. However, I cannot interact with the window because Ubuntu thinks the terminal window is on the other display.

I did not have this issue prior to VirtualBox 7.0.4.

Can anyone offer assistance?

Cheers!
agilis

Re: VirtualBox 7.x - Mouse interaction is lost once displays are rearranged.

Post by agilis »

Bump? Please can anyone offer any help?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 has new graphics code that may have bugs. Does this start working correctly again if you roll back to 6.1.40?

Additionally, Virtualbox has issues with Wayland. Check that the host & VM are using X.
agilis

Post by agilis »

scottgus1 wrote:7.0 has new graphics code that may have bugs. Does this start working correctly again if you roll back to 6.1.40?

Additionally, Virtualbox has issues with Wayland. Check that the host & VM are using X.
Thank you for responding! I never had an issue with 6.1.40 of VirtualBox.

I have read that VirtualBox has issues with Wayland but I never had any issues with 6.1.40.

Do you recommend waiting for a fix or downgrading to VirtualBox 6.1.40?
agilis

Post by agilis »

@scottgus1:

I went ahead and downgraded to VirtualBox 6.1.40. Upon the booting my Ubuntu Mate, I had the same issue that I had with VirtualBox 7.0.4.

I then remembered that I had the VirtualBox Additions that were part of 7.0.4. I then removed them and installed the VirtualBox Additions for 6.1.40.

My issue was not gone.

When I configured the display arrangement for both my monitors, I noticed that the window that asks me to confirm the display configuration was on the display that the window was originally on before I changed the arrangement. With the newer additions in 7.0.4, this was not the case.
agilis

Post by agilis »

A ticket has been submitted by me for this issue: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21403