Copy and paste not working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
El-Francisco

Copy and paste not working

Post by El-Francisco »

Hello everyone,

I am on Windows 10 hosting a Debian 11.5 machine. I have activated the shared clipboard (bidirectional) as long as the drag and drop.

However I cannot copy and paste at all between W10 and Debian.

The button "guest addition" seems to not do anything at all when I click on it.

Do you have an idea of how to solve this problem ?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy and paste not working

Post by mpack »

El-Francisco wrote: The button "guest addition" seems to not do anything at all when I click on it.
First, there is no button. There is a menu item called "Insert Guest Additions CD", and that label precisely describes what VirtualBox does when you select that menu item. What may happen after that depends on how the guest OS treats the insertion of new media. If it is configured to do nothing, it will do nothing. In that case you must browse to the CD inside the guest OS and run the correct GAs installer for that OS.
Hugocnx

Post by Hugocnx »

mpack wrote:
El-Francisco wrote: The button "guest addition" seems to not do anything at all when I click on it.
First, there is no button. There is a menu item called "Insert Guest Additions CD", and that label precisely describes what VirtualBox does when you select that menu item. What may happen after that depends on how the guest OS treats the insertion of new media. If it is configured to do nothing, it will do nothing. In that case you must browse to the CD inside the guest OS and run the correct GAs installer for that OS.
Hello,
What exactly do you mean with "run the correct GAs installer for that OS"?
I have the same problem; ran the Virtualbox Guest Additions, but that changed nothing.
Is there something I overlooked? It seems easy though on some youtube video's.
Thanks
Hugo
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Hugocnx wrote: What exactly do you mean with "run the correct GAs installer for that OS"?
What exactly is the area of doubt? There is only one GAs CD for all guest OS types that VirtualBox supports. Only one of the installers on the CD will be correct for your guest OS.

Any further discussion will require sight of the VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Topic moved to "Linux Guests".