VB 7 VMSVGA grapics drivers on Linux guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
RD-Customer

VB 7 VMSVGA grapics drivers on Linux guest

Post by RD-Customer »

I am having issues using the VMSVGA driver on a Ubuntu VM that was migrated from VB 6.x ... The VM was completely shut down on VB 6.x and all remaining VMware drivers and Virtualbox guest additions were removed via command line. When booting the system in VB 7 (7.0.2-154219~Ubuntu~bionic) with the VMSVGA driver enabled in the VM Settings I do not get any GUI and can only access the VM via ssh ... If I set either VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA in settings I get a fixed size GUI desktop. I have the newest extension pack installed on the VB 7 install... What else can I do to get the VMSVGA driver re-installed or updated to work properly in VB 7.x?

VMSVGA is the default video card used for Linux VMs in Virtualbox. It is normal to remain on VMSVGA even after removing VMware software.

Virtualbox Guest Additions provide Virtualbox drivers for the VMSVGA video card. The GAs will also allow flexible screen sizing. There are prerequisites to install the GAs, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VB 7 VMSVGA grapics drivers on Linux guest

Post by scottgus1 »

RD-Customer wrote:I do not get any GUI
Do you get a command line?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
RD-Customer wrote:I have the newest extension pack installed on the VB 7 install
The EP version must always match the Virtualbox version, so "newest" may not be "correct". Also, the EP does not affect VM graphics.
RD-Customer

Re: VB 7 VMSVGA grapics drivers on Linux guest

Post by RD-Customer »

vbox.log of no gui session and 2 screen grabs showing gui and no gui ... attached

VMSVGA driver is working when Enable 3D is not selected however it is no longer scalable as it was in version 6.x. I tried fractional scaling settings in the display settings inside Ubuntu VM which did not allow the scaling of the display either.

I have included the vbox.log of the session where VMSVGA driver and 3D is enabled. This combination yields no gui no console, ssh access and system is available. << any comments here?

Both app and EP are both same with v 7.0.2-154219.
Attachments
vbox.log.zip
(224.3 KiB) Downloaded 5 times