host needs to have vpn, guest needs to have its own vpn

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kermitfrog

host needs to have vpn, guest needs to have its own vpn

Post by kermitfrog »

Hi
is this possible?
laptop: linux mint connected to my home internet via ethernet cable. running vpn desktop app.
in virtualbox: linux mint, this linux mint sees the ip address of the vpn, not my true ip. my research indicates I will need something called NAT which I will have to figure out later. but here is the thing: within the virtualbox linux mint, I want to run the vpn desktop app. but I will connect to a different location. so let's say in the laptop I am connected to chicago, in virtualbox I am connected to texas. if I go to whatismyipaddress (or any other website) in the virtualbox linux mint, that website should see the texas ip, not chicago, not my true ip.

in short, can I run 2 vpn apps like this, or they will conflict with each other? is the OS running in virtualbox truly independent, or it will need some resources from the host device/os?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: host needs to have vpn, guest needs to have its own vpn

Post by mpack »

A VM is just another PC, so anything you can do in a PC, you can do in... a PC.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: host needs to have vpn, guest needs to have its own vpn

Post by scottgus1 »

NAT connects through the host's network stack, so the NAT-connected VM would go through the host's VPN.

Bridged connects outside the host's network stack, so the Bridged-connected VM might have a chance to use its own VPN, depending on how strongly the host VPN rules the host's network connection.