[ROCKY LINUX installation issue on Windows 11 VB 7]

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
NicolasB

[ROCKY LINUX installation issue on Windows 11 VB 7]

Post by NicolasB »

Hi,

I just installed VB 7 on a Windows 11 host. Ubuntu was installed fine but no version of Rocky Linux is starting the installation. I am getting a constant checksum error issue, regardless of how many different images/versions I tried (I even checked the checksums of the images and all were matching). On my other PC running Windows 10 and VB 6.1 I could install it without any issue. I tried disabling HyperV (as it seems to have generated similar issues in the past) but it didn't help. Any idea?

Best regards and thanx for your help.
Nico
Yorkish

Re: [ROCKY LINUX installation issue on Windows 11 VB 7]

Post by Yorkish »

I'm also facing problems installation RockyLinux on VirtualBox 7.0.4 with the unattended option

I downloaded the version 9.1 and verified the SHA256. It booted the ISO (in a brand new VM) but it didn't go any further. I got this message : " ISOLINUX 6.04 ETCDisolinux: image checksum error, sorry..."
redid a new VM, skipped the unattended option, boots fine, even test the media from the boot menu (before launching the installation. everything is fine!

and

I downloaded the version 8.7 and verified the SHA256. it was worse! Brand new VM, failed right after configuring the VM. Got this message :

Failed to run unattended guest installation.
Unknown guest OS major version '8'.
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0X80004005)
Component:
UnattendedWrap
Interface:
IUnattended {6f89464f-7773-436a-a4df-592e4e537fa0}

redid a new VM, skipped the unattended option, boots fine, even test the media from the boot menu (before launching the installation. everything is fine!

8.6 works likes a charm both ways!

the ostype that gets auto-detected in every case is Red Hat (64-bit)
Yorkish

Post by Yorkish »

I know I was saying earlier that 8.6 was working but I`ve since tested it on 7.0.4/7.0.6 and it did not work in unattended mode... this is clearly a regression
ashopson

Post by ashopson »

I was having problems running Rocky 9.x so I tried building a new VM using Rocky 8.8. It installed, booted, and ran all the installation scripts without error. Seems to be an issue with Rocky Linux 9.x as it keeps reporting a checksum error.