Cannot enable 2nd screen on Virtual Box 6.1.38

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
asig

Cannot enable 2nd screen on Virtual Box 6.1.38

Post by asig »

Hello everyone,
I am having trouble enable a second monitor for my virtual Ubuntu. I have spent the last 5 hours trying to figure it out following various tutorials but I just gave up now. Fyi, I have installed the VM VirtualBox Extension Pack and I have also installed Guest Additions on my Ubuntu system. I don't know if it makes any difference but my host system is Windows 11 Pro 21H2.

I have uploaded the logfile and a screenshot with my settings for you to have a look, please. For the graphics controller, I have tried all three options (VBoxVGA, VMSVGA and VBoxSVGA). When I am using the VMSVGA the system is working properly but the "Enable" button for the second screen is greyed-out. When I am using either VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA, I have two screens but nothing on the system is clickable (like everything being frozen, even though I can see the mouse moving).

System Specifications:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM: 31.9 GB
VGA: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-12 212031.zip
Settings
(68.68 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Ubuntu-2022-09-12-20-34-07.zip
Log File
(40.85 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot enable 2nd screen on Virtual Box 6.1.38

Post by mpack »

The Guest Additions are ancient (6.0.0). Let's see what happens if you update them.

Note that the "Insert Guest Additions CD" menu item does exactly that and no more, i.e. unless autorun is enabled in the guest OS this will not install the GAs: you have to do that.
asig

Post by asig »

Thank you very much for your help. That actually helped and I instantly had 2 screens working fine. After that though, a new problem appeared. When I restarted the system, without messing with the settings, the second screen appeared grey and the desktop is not clickable. The only clickable is the side panel. Whenever I open a program from the side panel it works fine but I cannot click on it. I then deactivated 3D acceleration and everything seems to be working ok again, but everything is EXTREMELY laggy. I don't understand why 3D acceleration is not working. Without it, the system is unusable.

I have uploaded a new logfile. Thank you again very much for your help.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2022-09-13-09-29-54.zip
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

We will have to wait until a more experienced Linux user comes along. Until then (and no promises that this is good info) I do know that support for Wayland is not yet where we would like it to be.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Regarding lagginess, you've ordered it by disabling System > Acceleration > Nested Paging.

Regarding the 2nd screen, are you using Wayland in your guest? Try X11 instead.
asig

Post by asig »

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Changed it to x11 and it worked like a treat. Thank you!!