Linking Shared Drives to Ubuntu

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Randel Texas

Linking Shared Drives to Ubuntu

Post by Randel Texas »

I have a Windows 10 Host computer and a Ubuntu guest. I am trying to link shared folders.
I do not think the problem is on the host side. I have set a shared folder with the path and the folder name. I do not have Read-only checked and I do not have Auto-mount checked but I do have Make Permanent checked. And I think it works because when I launch the guest machine and open the file manager (called "Files"), it shows under "+ Other Locations" a list of several items under "Networks". But "VIRTUALBOX (File Sharing)" is repeated twice which suggests to me there might be something wrong that I need to fix. So, what is wrong that I need to fix?
The items listed under Files -> +Other Locations -> Networks are:
  • VIRTUALBOX (File Sharing)
  • Window Network
  • DESKTOP-REDACTED
  • READYSHARE
  • VIRTUALBOX (File Sharing)
But when I click on any of these items it says, "Unable to access location" and "Failed to retrieve shared list from server: Invalid argument."
An instructional video on youtube says that in order to have a shared folder between a ubuntu guest and its host, you need to have a group called "vboxsf" that is generated automatically somehow with VirtualBox. But this does not seem to be the case:

worker@virtualbox: $ whoami
worker
worker@virtualbox: $ sudo adduser worker vboxsf
[sudo] password for worker:
adduser: The group ''vboxsf' does not exist.
Randel Texas

Re: Linking Shard Drives to Ubuntu

Post by Randel Texas »

I am told this has to do with installing Guest Additions
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

VirtualBox's Shared Folders does require working Guest Additions in the VM. Maybe your VM's GAs aren't working yet, which could explain why you don't have the vboxsf group in the VM.

Guest Additions have prerequisites in Linux, same as Virtualbox on the host, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq. Also, watch the terminal installation report when running the GAs installer. Error messages will show if the install ran into a problem.

After which see section 4.3 in the manual to set up Virtualbox Shared Folders.

Note that real shared folders are also possible, using the host and VM OSs' usual sharing methods, shared over a Bridged or Host-Only network, and not set up using Virtualbox Shared Folders. Real shared folders have more capabilities for running, saving, and permissions-setting than Virtualbox Shared Folders has.
Randel Texas

Post by Randel Texas »

I have followed your instructions and kept record of the output of commands in case there is an error I am overlooking. I do not think there is an error I am overlooking.

I have had some success. The group 'vboxsf' was created which after I ran the installation for GA.

But it is still not working as I hoped. I am able to open a directory called "READYSHARE" but I could not add a folder or file to this directory.

Since I can not share text -- I mean in ascii format -- I made screen captures. I would like to show them to you but I can not post URL links for a day with a new account.

What is "mountpoint" in the following command and what are the options?
mount -t vboxsf [-o OPTIONS] sharename mountpoint
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Randel Texas wrote:I would like to show them to you but I can not post URL links for a day with a new account.
URL's aren't necessary, Pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

I'm not a Linux guru, so I'm not sure about automounting. But let's see a VM log to confirm the Guest Additions install.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Randel Texas wrote:What is "mountpoint" in the following command and what are the options?
See man mount.