Crash problem: end kernel panic attempted to kill init

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
niraj3008

Crash problem: end kernel panic attempted to kill init

Post by niraj3008 »

I am trying installing Rocky Linux 9 in VM VirtualBox in my Windows system, but the kernel panic issue is coming. I tried in my different windows system, there it was successful, so I tried exporting the appliance from that system and importing it in my system. Then also, its giving the same error.

I am attaching the log here. Please help.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(26.96 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Crash problem: end kernel panic attempted to kill init

Post by mpack »

Thanks for providing a zipped log without waiting to be prompted. Very refreshing.

In the log I see a number of problems.

First, VirtualBox 6.1.34 had a number of incompatibilities with latest Linux kernels, you should upgrade to 6.1.36.

Next, Rocky seems to be a fork of Red Hat, so you should have chosen "Red Hat (64bit)" as the template to copy.

Third, 1536MB RAM is not a lot to run a 64bit OS in. I hope you researched the OS requirements.

Fourth, 16MB video RAM is not a lot of graphics RAM for a desktop OS. I would increase to at least 64MB, however that leads us to...

Fifth, your host has less than 8GB RAM in total, which is not a lot to run two 64bit OS in. You have 3.7GB free, but this will always be a struggle of conflicting priorities. Your host only has 2 physical cores, so ... again.
niraj3008

Post by niraj3008 »

Thanks you for the quick reply.

Actually Rocky linux is running in my other windows system with same configurations, so I was wondering why it is not running in my system.

Now, I have updated VM box to 6.1.36 and also increased RAM to 3 GB, CPU to 3 and video RAM to 128. Also changed "Red Hat (64bit)" as template. Still the same issue.

I am attaching the new log. Can you please check, if something else could be found.

Thanks
Attachments
VBox_new.zip
(28.82 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Can you tell me why the VDI attached to this VM has such a strange name?

The VM is called "ePrastutiServerImage-Rocky9", therefore the VDI should have been called "ePrastutiServerImage-Rocky9.vdi". Instead it's called "ePrastutiServerImage-Rocky9-disk001.vdi". This implies that the VM was not created in a normal way: I would guess that it came as an generic OVA but instead of being imported (File|Import appliance...), it was unpacked and a VM manually created around it?

If so then the kernel panic will be due to dramatic differences in the virtual hardware compared to what it saw when the it was created.

I suggest that you install your VirtualBox VM from scratch rather than from an OVA. It usually causes far less problems.