Ubuntu 22.04 on VirtualBox 6.1.36

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tbyte
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: FreeBSD, Linux, Windows

Ubuntu 22.04 on VirtualBox 6.1.36

Post by tbyte »

Something very wrong is going on. The mouse can't click on the desktop other than the panel to the left and the shutdown menu in the right top. And the background and the windows were just showing to about 1/4 of the screen.
Then I removed the guest additions and put the older version from Ubuntu and it didn't go very far either. No clipboard, no auto resize.
Again I removed the Ubuntu guest additions and put back those from the virtual CD. And Now I can see the whole screen but I can't click anywhere except on the the left panel and now I cant even click on the shutdown menu !
They system is absolutely unusable :?

PS: sending "ACPI Shutdown" stopped working either.
PS1: I did just for test 'rcvboxadd cleanup' and rebooted and now the video part is working (why?) as intended but no bidirectional clipboard.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 on VirtualBox 6.1.36

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I saw the post below mine and tried the same search

Code: Select all

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -type f -name "*.ko" | grep vbox
and found 2 other modules (other than the ones in the misc/) - in the drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko and vboxguest.ko (I dont remeber where :( )
I removed both and for now it seems to work fine. But those 2 modules have the exact same date and time of the other drivers in the original kernel and I think they came with the kernel itself.
Which probably means that the installer is not really replacing the modules ?

PS: I enable 3D and the thing about notable to click anything else on the screen other than the left panel happened again. Disabled 3D everything was working. And I decided to enable it again so I can save the log and now it is working with the 3D (more or less ...)
So I guess something is still going on but when it happens again I'll save the log.
Last edited by tbyte on 24. Jul 2022, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

It happened again. Cant click anywhere on the desktop except the left panel and the far right shutdown button , the background was covering about 3/4 of the screen. I've attached the log.
Attachments
Ubuntu Desktop-2022-07-24-02-00-51.zip
(34.55 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log! Usually, this sort of thing happens when the Guest Additions aren't installed correctly. But they seem to be correctly installed in your VM.

I can't see the problem right off. Only thing I could suggest is to see if the VM is using Wayland, and try good ol' X instead. Aside from that, we'll need a Linux guru to take a look.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Also what window manager are you using?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I also didn't see any indication of a problem in the Ubuntu Desktop-2022-07-24-02-00-51.log file.

Regarding the VirtualBox kernel modules: It's ok to keep the Ubuntu-provided kernel modules, because the VirtualBox-provided kernel modules are preferred in a working installation. Use modinfo vboxvideo to get information about the currently preferred kernel module. The VirtualBox-provided one will have an additional version attribute:
fth0@LinuxMint-VM:~$ modinfo vboxvideo
filename:       /lib/modules/5.4.0-122-generic/misc/vboxvideo.ko
version:        6.1.36 r152435
[...]

fth0@LinuxMint-VM:~$ modinfo /lib/modules/5.4.0-122-generic/misc/vboxvideo.ko
filename:       /lib/modules/5.4.0-122-generic/misc/vboxvideo.ko
version:        6.1.36 r152435
[...]

fth0@LinuxMint-VM:~$ modinfo /lib/modules/5.4.0-122-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko
filename:       /lib/modules/5.4.0-122-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko
[...]
If the output looks different in your case, re-install the VirtualBox Guest Additions and pay close attention to the corresponding output in the automatically opened terminal.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

fth0 wrote:FWIW, I also didn't see any indication of a problem in the Ubuntu Desktop-2022-07-24-02-00-51.log file.

Regarding the VirtualBox kernel modules: It's ok to keep the Ubuntu-provided kernel modules, because the VirtualBox-provided kernel modules are preferred in a working installation. Use modinfo vboxvideo to get information about the currently preferred kernel module. The VirtualBox-provided one will have an additional version attribute:

If the output looks different in your case, re-install the VirtualBox Guest Additions and pay close attention to the corresponding output in the automatically opened terminal.
I did delete the ubuntu modules so this is the only one:
tbyte@UDesk:~$ modinfo /lib/modules/5.15.0-41-generic/misc/vboxvideo.ko
filename: /lib/modules/5.15.0-41-generic/misc/vboxvideo.ko
version: 6.1.36 r152435
AndyCot wrote:Also what window manager are you using?
Gnome 3 on Wayland

I started having those problems since I upgraded from Ubuntu 20 to 24 and VirtualBox 6.1.2x to 6.1.36 so I'm not sure which of the 2 upgrades created the problem.
The even stranger part is that it sometimes works and sometimes it doenst and the problem happens immediately after booting. If it works after booting it seems that it keeps working for now at least (some race condition ?).
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Please read my post Re: Mouse click lost after a while and take a look at the ticket and thread linked within that post. I recently stumbled upon that background information which could explain many (if not all) of the "mouse clicks lost" reports.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

fth0 wrote:Please read my post Re: Mouse click lost after a while and take a look at the ticket and thread linked within that post. I recently stumbled upon that background information which could explain many (if not all) of the "mouse clicks lost" reports.
With my problem it's not lost after a while but either I can click on ONLY on specific parts of the screen or it works and it worked for hours without a problem (my last test). And when it fails it stops receiving even the ACPI signals, the background doenst fill the screen and there are all kinds of other strange things going on.
PS: And it only happens immediately after boot. It either fails immediately or works for hours.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I don't say that it explains any of your problems. But the core of that issue is that VirtualBox overlays an invisible X11 window over an unknown part of the screen at an unknown time, and from then on, all mouse clicks in that part of the screen do not reach the underlying X11 windows any more.

When you encounter a problem with mouse clicks, it probably won't hurt to try killing the appropriate processes with either of

sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop"
sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop" && /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

fth0 wrote:I don't say that it explains any of your problems. But the core of that issue is that VirtualBox overlays an invisible X11 window over an unknown part of the screen at an unknown time, and from then on, all mouse clicks in that part of the screen do not reach the underlying X11 windows any more.

When you encounter a problem with mouse clicks, it probably won't hurt to try killing the appropriate processes with either of

sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop"
sudo pkill -fx "/usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop" && /usr/bin/VBoxClient --draganddrop
The moment it happens I'll try it and I'll post again. Thank you !