How can I install the Guest Additions from YUM repositroy?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

How can I install the Guest Additions from YUM repositroy?

Post by operation420.net »

How can I install the GA from YUM repository? I searched and seen instructions on apt, I was told my question might be more answerable by the Linux gurus on the Linux Guests forum.
viewtopic.php?t=8208
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: How can I install the Guest Additions from YUM repositroy?

Post by operation420.net »

So I didn't want to go through the process of having to update VBox on all my machines yet, so what I did was downloaded the latest version of VirtualBox (For Windows, I imagine others might work, esp DMG archive) and opened it as an archive.
Specifically I right-clicked on the .exe file and 7-Zip file manager has a menu there with an option to open as archive (which could also be done by browsing for the exe).
I was able to extract and mount the ISO file named file_VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from the installer (exe) archive.

Code: Select all

Uncompressing VirtualBox 7.0.4 Guest Additions for Linux  100%
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 6.1.34 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
The latest version of the guest additions is backwards compatible, but this method still might not be reccomended. I figured worst case scenario was if I broke something (which I already did when I updated, mainly kernel) I could rollout the latest VBox updates to my machines.

This might be handy if users want to upgrade their guest additons before VBox to avoid inturruption after booting the machine the first time after updating VBox and the Host Extension Package on the host.
viewtopic.php?t=8208
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: How can I install the Guest Additions from YUM repositroy?

Post by granada29 »

The usual way to install the Guest Additions is by attaching the built-in .iso from the VM menu. However, I do understand why you want to bypass that.

You can download the ISO for the version you require from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ although this is not really the recommended method.