Ubuntu 22.04 install fails ubi-partman code 10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tcosintmc

Ubuntu 22.04 install fails ubi-partman code 10

Post by tcosintmc »

The host system is a Dell 9020 running Debian 11 (bullseye). Virtualbox 6.1.34 is in use. Attempts to create Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 11 guests fail with a failure on the grub create. Sorry, couldn't copy message fast enough. I do get a message that ubi-partman fails with code 10. Underlying configuration error? Both distros fail repeated at the same place so guessing something set up wrong. Thoughts on what to look for or anyone seen this error.?

Update to my original post. Over the last few days I have tested this on several other machines and find the only computer it fails on it the Dell 9020. Bad news in that the 9020's are the machines I actually get to use. Maybe a BIOS issue? (I've updated it.) The problem happens when the base install is Debian or Ubuntu. The base installs and installation of VirtualBox 6.1.34 goes smoothly. The problem occurs when the guest install get to the GRUB loader step.

Yet another update to the post. I ended up trying another distro for the base build. Just for fun I used an old CentOS 7 version I had laying around. Turns out I have no problems on the Dell 9020's when the base install is CentOS. I can use VirtualBox and easily create both Ubuntu and Debian guests, no issues. So while I'm still curious why the original issue exists I have no problems proceeding with the solution that works.
rec9140

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 install fails ubi-partman code 10

Post by rec9140 »

[quote="tcosintmc"]The host system is a Dell 9020 running Debian 11 (bullseye). Virtualbox 6.1.34 is in use. Attempts to create Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 11 guests fail with a failure on the grub create. Sorry, couldn't copy message fast enough. I do get a message that ubi-partman fails with code 10. Underlying configuration error? Both distros fail repeated at the same place so guessing something set up wrong. Thoughts on what to look for or anyone seen this error.?[/quote]

Be sure you are giving the VM MORE than the DEFAULT 10GB disk. I ran into this issue till I checked in /var/log/syslog that the install was filling up the disk... So I set a 60GB size for the disk. And the install completes.

df -h shows its using 11GB, so 20-30 is probably a minimal starting point... due to my needs, I chose some breathing room with 60GB...

So give this a shot...