VB Ubuntu won't boot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dvb

VB Ubuntu won't boot

Post by dvb »

My Ubuntu VM won't start from VirtualBox. It's been working fine until just this morning. It freezes with a black screen, no cursor.

Help?
Attachments
VBox.log
(83.79 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB Ubuntu won't boot

Post by mpack »

The log is truncated. Please make sure that the VM is closed down before grabbing a log, and then zip the log. A zipped log always fits within the forum attachment size limit.
dvb

Post by dvb »

Thanks so much for looking. I zipped the VBoxHardening.log as well as the VBox.log.

I suspect it's a memory issue, but I don't know how to get in there to change things if I can't start the VM. I'd hate to have to rebuild the whole workspace from scratch.
Attachments
VBox_logs.zip
(53.67 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

dvb wrote:I suspect it's a memory issue
The new log certainly shows a memory issue: the host had 23.6GB RAM available, of which you assigned 23.9GB to the VM, plus another 128MB as graphics RAM. Is there a particular reason why the VM needs so much RAM? I would suggest reducing it to around 16GB, that should be more than enough for any typical VM.

I note that the Guest Additions are loaded ok at line 1261, so clearly the VM did boot quite far, even if the display was black.

I see a couple of audio-related warning messages that I don't like. As a test you could trying disabling audio in the VM settings to see if that's the problem.
00:02:00.165875 Audio: Warning: Scheduling hint of stream '[WasAPI] Output:0' is bigger (140728898420741ms) than used period size (0ms)
00:02:00.171670 Audio: Warning: Scheduling hint of stream '[WasAPI] Line-In:0' is bigger (140728898420746ms) than used period size (0ms)
Otherwise, I don't see anything obviously wrong with the VM, so you may need to wait for a Linux expert to come along to get other suggestions.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA) 6.1.22 are installed in the guest, but Linux kernel 5.13 is only supported by VirtualBox 6.1.24 (and newer). So I'd make an educated guess that the old GA could contribute to your problem.

One possible way to get rid of the old GA is to boot the VM from a Linux Live CD, mount the (virtual) hard disk, search for a file named vboxguest.* and rename it. I never tried it myself, though. Please report back how it goes.