Error installing Fedora 36 server on VB6.1.34 running on a Fedora 36 workstation host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tfmeier

Error installing Fedora 36 server on VB6.1.34 running on a Fedora 36 workstation host

Post by tfmeier »

I'm successfully running VB 6.1.34 on a Dell PC (20GB RAM) running Fedora 36 - 3 VMs in total.

I wanted to create a new VM running Fedora 36 server:
Linux / Fedora 64-bit
4GB RAM
32GB HDD
Official .iso from getfedora

During the installation process "there is an unexpected error" and any attempts to forward the log files (local, FTP, Oracle infrastructure) fails. I then restarted and tried the 'test media and install Fedora server' option. The test fails (interestingly running this a few times the test fails at different points). I redownloaded the .iso - same result.

I then used the same iso on a Win10 machine running VB 6.1.34 - no issues at all.

The other VMs are based on other OSes not Fedora 64-bit.

The host system is up-to-date 'sudo dnf upgrade'.

I tried to reinstall VB `sudo dnf reinstall VirtualBox-6.1' - same outcome.

I'm out of ideas. Any takers where to even start?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error installing Fedora 36 server on VB6.1.34 running on a Fedora 36 workstation host

Post by scottgus1 »

Please check if this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106071&p=519135#p519135 regarding the kernel version of your host OS is valid for your setup.

Otherwise, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.