A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Dan-the-Man

A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine

Post by Dan-the-Man »

I'm having a similar issue. I was running Linux Lite (guest) with no problems for weeks, then today it starts throwing this error as soon as the VM starts to boot Linux. I haven't changed any hardware or BIOS settings, no Windows updates, no changes to the VM settings, and I can't even boot the ISO image to reinstall. I browsed the log but I have no idea what to look for beyond the "Aborting startup due to invalid machine state detected: 1" at the end of the log. I've been using this VM to teach a friend how to script with Bash, so lessons are postponed until I can get the VM running again.

Any help greatly appreciated.
VBox.zip
(65.3 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine

Post by scottgus1 »

Your 3rd-party antivirus has enabled its internal setting to use hardware virtualization for its scanning. This setting interferes with Virtualbox. Disable the antivirus setting for hardware virtualization and Virtualbox will probably work fine again.
Dan-the-Man

Post by Dan-the-Man »

scottgus1 wrote:Your 3rd-party antivirus has enabled its internal setting to use hardware virtualization for its scanning. This setting interferes with Virtualbox. Disable the antivirus setting for hardware virtualization and Virtualbox will probably work fine again.
That was it! Thank you so much for the quick response.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.