Guest Addition Ubuntu, Full screen dont work, Mouse dont work

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Taxi000

Guest Addition Ubuntu, Full screen dont work, Mouse dont work

Post by Taxi000 »

Hello guys, i have a big problem, so im using a ubuntu guest on win 10 host and i wanted to be able to have full screen and shared clipboard, so i instaled the Guest Addition.

After installation its all bugged, the full screen mode doesent really work neither doese my Mouse.
So, when i drag the screen bigger or go into full screen mode, mostly all my display is black (see pic) and my mouse clicks doesent work in the "not black" area, but it does work on the keystorkes at the side and when i open the Menue.
My Pictules will explain better i hope:

when im not in full screen mode, it also doesent work.
Attachments
"Full screen mode"
"Full screen mode"
Ubuntu_bugd.png (89.52 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Addition Ubuntu, Full screen dont work, Mouse dont work

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Taxi000

Post by Taxi000 »

Thanks for the fast reply, here is my log file, hope u can help me, im losing my mind here
Attachments
Ubuntu_VM_Log.zip
Log File
(31.3 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You have not installed the Guest Additions. All you have are the ancient fossils built into the Ubuntu distro. These are no good with current graphics controller.
00:00:28.315908 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
00:00:28.315984 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Interface = 0x00010004 osType = 0x00053100 (Linux >= 2.6, 64-bit)
The menu item "Insert Guest Additions CD" does precisely that: a CD is inserted into the virtual CD drive of your VM. You then need to install the GAs by whatever mechanism the guest OS uses.

I also suggest that you give the VM 2 cores (I do mean 2, not more). Also increase graphics RAM to 128MB and enable 3D acceleration.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'll ad one thing, GAs in a Linux VM have prerequisites, same as for Virtualbox on a Linux host: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
Taxi000

Post by Taxi000 »

mpack wrote:You have not installed the Guest Additions. All you have are the ancient fossils built into the Ubuntu distro. These are no good with current graphics controller.
00:00:28.315908 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
00:00:28.315984 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Interface = 0x00010004 osType = 0x00053100 (Linux >= 2.6, 64-bit)
The menu item "Insert Guest Additions CD" does precisely that: a CD is inserted into the virtual CD drive of your VM. You then need to install the GAs by whatever mechanism the guest OS uses.

I also suggest that you give the VM 2 cores (I do mean 2, not more). Also increase graphics RAM to 128MB and enable 3D acceleration.

Okay, thank you!
What i did now:
Updating my VB to Version 6.1.34 and also downloading the corresponding Guest addition
Then i did the steps from here with the terminal ( Not allowed to send URLs here yet , so its from IT' zGeek : "How To Install VirtualBox Guest Additions On Ubuntu 20.04" )
and changed the settings as u told me
also suggest that you give the VM 2 cores (I do mean 2, not more). Also increase graphics RAM to 128MB and enable 3D acceleration
Sadly its still the same :/

my Log File now looks like this, can u tell me if Guest Addition is installed the right way now? i feel like my problem is somwhere else
Attachments
Ubuntu_Log_2.zip
Log File
(34.98 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Taxi000

Post by Taxi000 »

Okay wow.... Ticket #14743 (new defect)

seems like a) the bug exist since more then 7 years and b) noone knows how to solve it... why its always me :x
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the same issue has been reported twice lately (Upgraded to Jammy Jellyfish and desktop is unusable with Guest Additions, Guest Additions not working properly on Ubuntu 22.04 host), without any reported solution yet.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Taxi000 wrote:can u tell me if Guest Addition is installed the right way now?
Looks like no, not yet:
00:00:29.798969 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.0 r127566 '6.0.0'
Guest Additions have prerequisites in Linux, same as Virtualbox on the host, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq. Also, watch the terminal installation report when running the GAs installer. Error messages will show if the install ran into a problem.

We're not ready to declare a bug yet. Also, check if your VM is using a Wayland desktop. If so, try regular X.