Unable to Install Guest Additions on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ReallyFrustrated

Unable to Install Guest Additions on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ReallyFrustrated »

At first I tried install AnyDesk because it would basically accomplish the same thing, but it just wont run! Now im desperately trying to install quest additions but not of the tutorials I tried work! Even if I mount the .iso it tries to auto start but for some reason it just cant.

I have no idea what Im doing wrong please help! And thank you
AndyCot

Re: Unable to Install Guest Additions on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by AndyCot »

What do you think Guest Additions does? Nothing does the same thing as Guest Additions on a Virtualbox guest. GA does NOT allow you to remote in or copy files!!!

Please supply Vb log and details of "it just cant" test and/or images etc.

Please think "Is there enough info for someone to help me" and if not then you need to supply more info.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

AndyCot wrote:GA does NOT allow you to remote in or copy files!!!
GAs do in fact provide a way to copy files, i.e. shared folders, drag and drop.

If you were always intending to run your VM headless then remote desktop software could certainly obviate the need for many Guest Additions features, but I would still install them.

Look in the user manual for how to install Guest Additions. Do not rely on offsite tutorials, which are inevitably incorrect and out of date.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Can you please let me know how I can copy files via the supplied GUI with0put any configuration or additional software as I need this for one of my guests.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Without the Guest Additions there is only a way from host to guest using the VISO virtual ISO feature.
If your guest supports network transports, this can also be used like on any other PC:
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Anydesk like some VNC versions allows users to copy to/from remote PC's using the software once it is installed . It does not require any additional software or configuration once installed and working. VISO virtual ISO feature required you to configure it to get it working.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

AndyCot wrote:Can you please let me know how I can copy files via the supplied GUI with0put any configuration or additional software as I need this for one of my guests.
Software is always needed to talk a protocol. Whether it's additional or not depends on the OS.

To talk to an XP Pro guest for example I can use RDP, as XP Pro has a built in RDP server which gives me a virtual desktop, with copy/cut and paste. Maybe access to network shares too - I'm not sure if that's something I've set up separately. Remote audio and remote USB is also supported sometimes, depending on config I think, and the nature of the USB device.

On Linux guests I can install XRDP so I can RDP into it from my Windows PC. I have XRDP on my local PiHole for example (RPi based). I'm told that VNC is also an option, but I always found it to be the poor man's remote desktop option, not worth it when the superior versions are also free.

p.s. The discussion in this topic should be guided by the OP's comments, and he has not mentioned that installing additional software is a concern.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, if the Guest Additions are installed, there's also the 4.8. Guest Control File Manager.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Thanks. I did not know there was a Guest Control File Manager. This will help me out allot. I will give it a go later today.