Shortcuts Ctrl+/ and Ctrl+Shift+/ don't work

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Autechre

Shortcuts Ctrl+/ and Ctrl+Shift+/ don't work

Post by Autechre »

Hi !

I currently use a Debian 11 VM on a Windows 10 host.

My problem is that some shortcuts don't work : I can't use Ctrl+/ and Ctrl+Shift+/ on Pycharm.

Some shortcuts work tho like Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

I also can type the / character without problem.

Anyone knows how to use these shortcuts Ctrl+/ and Ctrl+Shift+/ ? I don't understand why it doesn't work, there is no reason...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Shortcuts Ctrl+/ and Ctrl+Shift+/ don't work

Post by scottgus1 »

On my keyboard the '/' key is on the right, and it would be very convenient to me to use Right-Ctrl-/ etc for the shortcuts using '/'.

However, Right-Ctrl is by default the Virtualbox Host Key, which breaks the keyboard out of the VM so the host OS receives keys and shortcuts.

You can see the Host Key by looking at the Status bar on the lower right of the VM when it's in a Window. If it is Right-Ctrl, and you're trying to use the Right Ctrl key in you shortcuts, then QED. :D

Try if Left-Ctrl-/ etc works in your Pycharm window. If so, then you might want to change the Virtualbox Host Key to a combination of control keys you don't normally use. See the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Input, Virtual Machine tab, Host Key Combination. (Note that the left CTRL or Alt or Shift keys may only be called Ctrl Alt and Shift, whereas the right keys may be called Right Ctrl, Right Alt, Right Shift.)
Autechre

Re: Shortcuts Ctrl+/ and Ctrl+Shift+/ don't work

Post by Autechre »

Thanks for your answer scottgus1 !

Unfortunately it doesn't work with the left Ctrl key. :?

I knew Right-Ctrl was the host key. :wink: