Ubuntu is painfully slow in VB

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Purrzy

Ubuntu is painfully slow in VB

Post by Purrzy »

Hello,

I am currently using Ubuntu 20.04 in the VirtualBox Machine and VSCodium is pretty slow and laggy. Everything takes a while to respond and if i want to move a windows it slowly drags it way behind my cursor etc.
Overall it just feels extremely slow and nearly unusable. (3d acceleration is active)

Already tried:
- increasing/decreasing CPU cores
- increasing/decreasing allocated RAM
- activate/deactivate PAE/NX
- activate/deactivate Nested VT-x/AMD-V
- changing paravirtualization around

Log:
EspOop1VM-2022-05-11-05-42-29.zip
(43.91 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
My System:
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
- RTX 3800ti
- 16GB RAM

Help would be greatly appreciated!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Ubuntu is painfully slow in VB

Post by mpack »

Purrzy wrote:if i want to move a windows it slowly drags it way behind my cursor etc.
IMO that's to be expected if you use a UHD resolution and don't enable graphics acceleration.

To get graphics acceleration you have to enable the VM setting and install the Guest Additions. You seem to have skipped the second part of that.

You also need to have host graphics with decent OpenGL support. I can't tell from the log if you have that.

If you can't provide accelerated graphics then another option is to reduce the guest display size by half in both dimensions and then use 200% scaling in the VM display.
Purrzy

Re: Ubuntu is painfully slow in VB

Post by Purrzy »

mpack wrote: IMO that's to be expected if you use a UHD resolution and don't enable graphics acceleration.

To get graphics acceleration you have to enable the VM setting and install the Guest Additions. You seem to have skipped the second part of that.

You also need to have host graphics with decent OpenGL support. I can't tell from the log if you have that.

If you can't provide accelerated graphics then another option is to reduce the guest display size by half in both dimensions and then use 200% scaling.
I installed guest additions now i think, still kinda slow but a bit better as before. Thanks for the help