Ubuntu Linux *ERROR* Failed to send host log message

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DrewMich

Ubuntu Linux *ERROR* Failed to send host log message

Post by DrewMich »

Hi guys,

Appreciate any help on this error please?

I have the log file attached and I don't have Hyper-V so I'm not sure how to fix this.

I have both Windows 10 and Ubunt Linux working, running last saturday. Then today, tuesday, Ubuntu Linux is showing this message now and does not run properly in VirtualBox.

Thanks!
DrewMich
Attachments
Ubuntu sample 5-05-22-2022-05-10-19-21-43.zip
(29.95 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Ubuntu Linux *ERROR* Failed to send host log message

Post by mpack »

I see nothing very interesting in the log: except a modern OS really wants 2 CPU cores and a lot more than 16MB of graphics RAM. A 10GB hard drive is pretty small too by modern standards. Even 10 years ago I never gave XP or later anything less than 32GB.

Btw, are you referring to a warning message on the Ubuntu terminal? If so, this refers to a problem in Ubuntu, not a problem with the VM.

p.s. I deleted your cross post of this question. Cross posting is contrary to the forum rules.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu Linux *ERROR* Failed to send host log message

Post by scottgus1 »

I also don't see anything out of the ordinary in the logged VM 'hardware' operation.
DrewMich wrote:Ubuntu Linux is showing this message now.
The message is not a problem. It is a bug in the Ubuntu driver for the VMSVGA video card. A normally-running VM continues to boot properly after this message appears
DrewMich wrote:Ubuntu Linux ... does not run properly in VirtualBox.
A hint vague here. Just what does "not run properly" mean? Guru-Meditates? Runs slow? Black screen? Inverted colors? Boots to Windows instead? Warns you the FBI is about to storm your house unless you pay 5 bitcoin to a DarkNet website? :lol: Please elaborate.

If you get a blinking cursor or a text-only log-in, Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This happens in real PCs too. The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. Also see How to Resize a Drive