[Solved] End kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill idle ubuntu server on virtual box.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tpjr

[Solved] End kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill idle ubuntu server on virtual box.

Post by tpjr »

Hello - I have attached the log file. I have attempted some different fixes but nothing appears to be working on getting my Ubuntu Server up and running in VirtualBox.

Running Windows 11.
Attempting to use this ISO: ubuntu-22.04-live-server-amd64.iso
Virtualbox Version 6.1.34 r150636 (Qt5.6.2)

Bios virtualization is enabled in Windows Bios

Please let me know if I can provide any more info to assist with troubleshooting.
Attachments
Ubuntu Server-2022-05-06-14-51-46.zip
(27.86 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: End kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill idle ubuntu server on virtual box.

Post by mpack »

I would try giving the VM resources more reasonable for a 64bit OS: 2 CPU cores, 2048MB RAM, and 64MB graphics RAM.
tpjr

Re: End kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill idle ubuntu server on virtual box.

Post by tpjr »

Unfortunately that did not do the trick. Would you like the log uploaded for that one too?
tpjr

Post by tpjr »

Please mark as resolved - I
mpack wrote:I would try giving the VM resources more reasonable for a 64bit OS: 2 CPU cores, 2048MB RAM, and 64MB graphics RAM.
I realized I did not update it to 2 CPUs. Once I changed that it let me proceed with the installation.

Thank you!
KewlDee

Post by KewlDee »

mpack wrote:I would try giving the VM resources more reasonable for a 64bit OS: 2 CPU cores, 2048MB RAM, and 64MB graphics RAM.
Sweet. I was facing the same issue when installing Kali Linux. Updated the cores and Graphics Ram and boom - it worked. Thanks a bunch.
peterhull90

Re: [Solved] End kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill idle ubuntu server on virtual box.

Post by peterhull90 »

I saw this problem after turning on Core Isolation/Memory Integrity in Windows 11* and it was also fixed for me by setting the number of processors to 2. Unfortunately I have now got the turtle icon!

This is great, but, can anyone tell me why this works?

Thanks,
Peter

* as I understand it, this turns on Windows "Hyper-V" virtualisation behind the scenes. Windows Security Center told me to do it and I'd rather do everything to ensure Windows is secure even if I risked losing VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [Solved] End kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill idle ubuntu server on virtual box.

Post by scottgus1 »

peterhull90 wrote:turning on Core Isolation/Memory Integrity in Windows 11* ... Unfortunately I have now got the turtle icon!
* as I understand it, this turns on Windows "Hyper-V" virtualisation behind the scenes.
This is correct. Core Isolation requires Hyper-V, which does slow down (or in some cases stops) Virtualbox. Running Virtualbox with Hyper-V enabled is a work in progress, hindered sometimes by Microsoft making changes and moving the goalposts, so the Virtualbox devs have to change the playbook. It's a risk assessment choice whether to use Hyper-V services or run Virtualbox sans turtle.