File Manager refuses to create guest session

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Re: File Manager refuses to create guest session

Post by Whiskeyjack »

If you want to transfer files one way from host to guest than you can also use VISO. Just create a VISO and mount it in the guest. It might be also faster than other options.
Dan Schwartz

Post by Dan Schwartz »

Dear scottgus1, fth0, and Wiskeyjack,

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my question. Unfortunately, I've given up on VBox and gone to a dual install of RHEL and Windows. This is not as convenient as having RHEL and Windows running at the same time, but at least I have this working, and am able to mount the Windows directories in RHEL.

In case it matters: I completely wiped out the previous installation of VBox and REHL, including deleting all the relevant dot files and directories, and then redid the installation of VBox and RHEL from scratch. During the latter, I noticed that the install of GuestAdditions failed, and the error message said something about being unable to access some kernel. I Googled this message and found the exact same error being discussed at

https://www.dev2qa.com/how-to-resolve-v ... nel-error/

This claimed to know how to resolve the problem, but it involved a step preforming registration with RedHat, which failed. I don't know why. But I did notice that every time I start RHEL in Vbox I get a message saying that I need to register with RedHat, and a window pops up for doing this. However, whenever I click the "Register" button, nothing happens. I suspect that the two issues are related.

In any case, one problem seems to be leading to another, which leads to another, etc. I have now spent several days fussing with this and seem to be getting nowhere. So I have given up. The VBox people need to look into the RHEL installation, and if they can figure out how to do it, post detailed instructions on their website.

All the best to all,

Dan Schwartz
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Dan Schwartz wrote:I noticed that the install of GuestAdditions failed, and the error message said something about being unable to access some kernel.
This will probably be the kernel headers, which have to be pre-installed via the VM OS's methods as a prerequisite for the GAs, same as for Virtualbox on a Linux host, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq for what and why. Without a successful GAs install (and a VM GUI to run them in) the file transfer and other such features won't work.
Dan Schwartz wrote:a step preforming registration with RedHat, which failed. I don't know why.
If RedHat requires registration to download and install the headers, then you'd have to successfully finish the registration with RedHat, same as if it was required for a physical PC install. Virtualbox has no say technologically or procedurally in a registration with an OS company, same as Virtualbox has no influence in activation of Windows. I have installed the headers in Ubuntu and Mint VMs without having to complete a registration. Of course, I've not tried RedHat, and it is a different distro....

Does RedHat require registration to run their version of 'apt-get install'? If not, getting the headers per the links above may not require registration.
Dan Schwartz wrote:The VBox people need to look into the RHEL installation
For the reasons above, this is not a Virtualbox problem.

If you'd like to try again, be sure to run the prerequisites in a GUI VM before installing the GAs, and post back with further troubles in a new topic. The forum gurus will be glad to help.

One other thing, if you do really want RedHat in a VM for the convenience, but cannot get the GAs running and/or don't want the GUI, as pointed out in point B in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105975#p517499, you can use a standard shared folder in the host OS, standard networking access in the VM, and transfer files through a Bridged or Host-Only network.
Dan Schwartz

Post by Dan Schwartz »

Dear scottgus1,

Thanks again for your detailed reply. I will keep all this in mind and maybe try again later. Right now I have a dual-boot setup, and this is serving my needs for the time being. The installation was quite straightforward; Red Hat provides good installation instructions. And a simple web search produced instructions for mounting Windows in RHEL.
gtess

Post by gtess »

Hello,

I am having the same problem as the user on here stated.
I have two linux virtual machines.
One is a non-GUI Ubuntu 20 vm and Guest Additions installed and the File Manager feature works and I can drag and drop files between my Windows 10 computer (the host) and the Ubuntu vm. So much for the idea that you need a vm with a GUI for Guest Additions to work. That's not the case.

What I am having problem with is my RHEL 8 with a GUI virtual machine. Guest Additions installed but then when I run File Manager I get an error that the session cannot start basically:
16:52:42: Guest session has been created
16:52:42: Waiting the session to start
16:52:44: The session did not start
16:52:44: Guest session is closed

With RHEL I had to install Guest Additions twice as the first time it gave some sort of error, think it was a dependency error. So I just ran the installer again and it 'worked'. I think though that same value is duplicated somewhere and is gumming up FIle Manager.

If anyone can provide instructions as to what I'd need to provide here so you can assist I'd appreciate it. Sort of new to VirtualBox but I used other vm products in the past.

Thanks