Kernel Panic when installing Ubuntu or openSUSE

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
amadi

Kernel Panic when installing Ubuntu or openSUSE

Post by amadi »

I'm a student taking Linux+ course and we're building VMs.
I've been able to get Rocky, Kali, DVL, CentOS to work. Ubuntu and openSUSE cant get past install as I'm getting a kernel panic error.
I've done some research online but the solutions dont seem to work in this case.
Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!
Attachments
Ubuntu has the same error
Ubuntu has the same error
Ubuntu.png (92.69 KiB) Viewed 10134 times
This is what suse looks like after selecting "installation" from the initial menu
This is what suse looks like after selecting "installation" from the initial menu
SUSE.png (93.03 KiB) Viewed 10134 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kernel Panic when installing Ubuntu or openSUSE

Post by scottgus1 »

Please pick one failing VM.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
dvhsfan

Post by dvhsfan »

I am getting the same error as amadi. I will provide some more details on what happened to me.

I was using Windows 11 Hyper-V with Virtualbox v6.1.32 running Ubuntu 20 LTS without issues. I upgraded to Virtualbox v6.1.34. I then attempted to create and install a WIn 10 VM with no success. I tried starting my Ubuntu VM just as a sanity check and it crashes with a same error as amadi is seeing. I uninstalled v6.1.34, removed any files/directories related to VirtualBox. I've downgraded back to v6.1.32. I've deleted and recreated the Ubuntu VM several times on both 6.1.32 and 6.1.34. All of these crash.
I think the problem started when KB5012643 and/or KB5012159 was installed but can't be sure. At the same time, KB2267602 (Version 1.363.1117.0) and KB2267602 (Version 1.363.1026.0) were also installed.

I can also upgrade to v6.1.36 and provide the log for that crash.
Attachments
UbuntuVB1-2022-05-02-12-07-37.zip
Log file for v .34
(26.45 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
amadi

Post by amadi »

I added logs from a new VM I was trying to build. This one is Kali, but getting the same error as all Debian & red hat distros I've tried to install.
Attachments
Kali Uchis-2022-05-12-22-34-47.zip
(27.56 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
amadi

Post by amadi »

also, similar to dvhsfan I'm running windows 11 pro. It was fine when I was on win 10 pro, though I had to use an older version of virtualbox as the vms all had memory issues on the latest version. since I upgraded I haven't been able to build any vms
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Another user reported that a Windows Update stopped Virtualbox from working.

I do note that you both have Hyper-V enabled on your Windows hosts. It could be that the recent inclusion of support for Windows 11 with Hyper-V enabled still needs some fixes, or the updates are changing the playing field.

I don't know how to troubleshoot these issues further, aside from suggesting to disable Hyper-V and see what happens. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active). It could be that the update enabled something that still remains enabled after the update is removed.

If you need Hyper-V enabled, I'd suggest making bug reports on the Bugtracker, with a link back to this post and the log zip files added to your tickets.
amadi

Post by amadi »

that makes sense. will make a bug report and see what happens.
thanks a lot!
AmosRyan

Post by AmosRyan »

I also encounter this problem. As I setup ubuntu on Vbox the kernel panic, at first I surpose it is caused by Vbox, then i tried VMwares it also fall. So I tried Deepin, it fall the same, it is the matter of win11 presumably now.
Woody_98

Post by Woody_98 »

I had the same issue. Removed WSL and Hyper-v from my system and it's been smooth sailin' ever since