No response on graphical desktop, but can reach consoles

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
HarryMan
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: devuan, MX-Linux, others

No response on graphical desktop, but can reach consoles

Post by HarryMan »

I am running a Devuan Chimaera virtualbox 6.1.34 VM whose desktop "went away" somehow. I don't know exactly why; I was working in a different VM and when I returned to the VM in question, its desktop had gone to black. I tried a few things to restart the desktop, but I had no luck. Eventually, I gave up and warm rebooted, with the result being a black desktop.

In both cases, I could get consoles. But once in the console, I could no longer get back to the graphical desktop screen (host-F7).

It was only when I cold booted that the desktop appears again, and so far, seems to work correctly.

EDIT: I am wondering if this might be related to the type of bug (not the same VM) as viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104926. Also, this VM was not running in full screen, unlike the VM in that other post.
Attachments
myvm0.log.gz
No response on desktop
(32.07 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: No response on graphical desktop, but can reach consoles

Post by fth0 »

The myvm0.log file shows VirtualBox 6.1.32 (not 6.1.34) and doesn't indicate the virtual screen being blanked. It does exhibit the AsyncCompletion issue at one point in time, though.
HarryMan wrote:I am running a Devuan Chimaera virtualbox 6.1.34 VM whose desktop "went away" somehow. I don't know exactly why; I was working in a different VM and when I returned to the VM in question, its desktop had gone to black. I tried a few things to restart the desktop, but I had no luck. Eventually, I gave up and warm rebooted, with the result being a black desktop.

In both cases, I could get consoles. But once in the console, I could no longer get back to the graphical desktop screen (host-F7).

It was only when I cold booted that the desktop appears again, and so far, seems to work correctly.
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly here, because the VirtualBox Host key is meant to escape the VM. Are you talking about the guest OS desktop or the host OS desktop or both?

Regarding UPS units, I'm not sure if they only have advantages ...
HarryMan
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: devuan, MX-Linux, others

Post by HarryMan »

fth0 wrote:I'm not sure if I understand you correctly here, because the VirtualBox Host key is meant to escape the VM. Are you talking about the guest OS desktop or the host OS desktop or both?

Regarding UPS units, I'm not sure if they only have advantages ...
Maybe these comments are related to a different topic I posted? I did talk about host keys and I did talk about UPS units, but not in this topic.

Sorry for my slip-up on the version info. I will try to be more careful.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

HarryMan wrote:Maybe these comments are related to a different topic I posted? I did talk about host keys and I did talk about UPS units, but not in this topic.
No, regarding the Host key: I'm relating to "host-F7" in the quoted part of the initial post of this thread, which doesn't seem to fit the description of issues with the guest's desktop.

Yes, regarding to UPS units: You were wondering about a relationship to the other thread, again in your initial post of this thread.