Microphone level too low

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
GordM

Microphone level too low

Post by GordM »

Hi. I searched and didn't find this, so if it's already been covered, my apologies.

I am running Linux Mint 20.3 as guest in Virtualbox 6.1. The host is Windows 11. The issue is that the microphone level is so low in Linux that I can't do Zoom. In the sound settings in Linux, it displays two lines in the input tab: volume and input level. Volume is set at 100% and can be adjusted whereas input level is very low and cannot be adjusted. In Windows, there is no problem.

Has anyone come across this and if so, is there a fix? Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Microphone level too low

Post by mpack »

Have you tried adjusting the level on Line-in instead of microphone? IIRC a VirtualBox VM provides a line-in not a mic-in, though I also vaguely recall a VM setting somewhere.
GordM

Post by GordM »

Thanks. Yes, I have. Line in lets me adjust the volume, which is already at 100%, but doesn't let me adjust the input level. which is very low. That seems to be the problem.
GordM

Post by GordM »

GordM wrote:Thanks. Yes, I have. Line in lets me adjust the volume, which is already at 100%, but doesn't let me adjust the input level. which is very low. That seems to be the problem.
Answering self. I saw PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) mentioned in another forum and decided it couldn't hurt. So I installed it and it let me increase the microphone (Line input) volume beyond 100%. Then I tried Zoom again and it seemed to pick up the microphone well. The main test will be a Zoom meeting I have tonight.
sudoku

Post by sudoku »

I had the same problem with Windows 11 host and Ubuntu guest. I fixed it by going to "Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers" and right-click my audio device in this case was something like "Realtek Audio Device" and then Uninstall device. It will then ask you to restart your computer. After restarting and open the VM, the mic volume is normal.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In hindsight the problem is kinda obvious. The VM obviously cannot or should not override the global volume settings set by the user on the host, so I suspect that 0-100% inside the VM actually maps to 0-<user%> on the host. I can see arguments pro and con for this behaviour.