Monitor/Display Affinity of RHEL8 Guest in VB

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Opus42

Monitor/Display Affinity of RHEL8 Guest in VB

Post by Opus42 »

I am running a Red Hat Linux 8.5 as a guest in Virtual Box 6.1.32 r149290 on a Windows 10 host having 2 physical displays--a primary that is directly in front of the keyboard and a secondary off to the side. On the Windows host, the primary is configured to be the one in front of the keyboard. I can easily configure the RHEL8 guest to have 2 virtual displays on the 2 physical, but monitor affinity is backwards. Red Hat always chooses my secondary display as its primary where the Gnome menu is and where it launches all new app windows, and if I manually drag them around to where I want them, it swaps back whenever I go into full screen. I have to exit full screen mode to 'fix' them and then HOST+F immediately swaps them back. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get RHEL to accept my host's primary as its primary. I don't even know if this is a RHEL issue, an Gnome issue, or an issue with VB. I will say this, my 'secondary' display is the hardware 'primary' and where the UEFI comes up, but I had a physical issue with the two monitors that forced me to set them up this way, and it would be a huge task to physically switch them. (It all has to do with cable types and lengths, video ports available between monitors and video card, and the mounting bracket they are on. They will just have to stay the way they are in that respect.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Is there any way that I can force RHEL, or Gnome, or VB, or whatever has the problem to have a permanently opposite display affinity?

Cheers,
Russ