Kali Linux kernel 5.17.0-kali3-amd64 fails after Guest Extensions load

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
apressman

Kali Linux kernel 5.17.0-kali3-amd64 fails after Guest Extensions load

Post by apressman »

While 5.15.0-kali3-amd64 with the .34 guest extensions works fine, if you apt fullupgrade and load the 5.17.0-kali3-amd64 kernel (even after manually reloading and verifying kernel headers) you'll get a second login screen after the screen size increase that indicates guest extensions loaded but after login only a black screen appears. I've done reloads of the guest extensions and headers from the CtrAltF2 terminal but no joy. Only by backing down to the prior kernel can I get a GUI. This has happened before and an update to VBox or the guest extensions fixed it so I thought I'd post here to see if that's underway.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali Linux kernel 5.17.0-kali3-amd64 fails after Guest Extensions load

Post by scottgus1 »

One thing we need to cover:
apressman wrote:guest extensions
I'll sound pedantic, I know, but we don't have "guest extensions". There are Guest Additions (which go in the guest, the VM) and an Extension Pack, which goes in the main Virtualbox Manager on the host OS. Some folks have confused what is what when others combine the two terms.
apressman wrote:if you apt fullupgrade and load the 5.17.0-kali3-amd64 kernel ... I've done reloads of the guest extensions and headers from the CtrAltF2 terminal but no joy.
Does this mean that you have tried uninstalling the Guest Additions, rebooting the VM, re-running the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq then reinstalling the Guest Additions?
apressman

Re: Kali Linux kernel 5.17.0-kali3-amd64 fails after Guest Extensions load

Post by apressman »

Hi Scott.

Yes. Done the manual process to get the pre-reqs in order and still...just tried it again. No luck with the .17 kernel. As soon as the guest additions load, screen size changes, I get a new login screen...that's how I know it won't work. Upon login only a black screen. What's new today is no access to a F2 terminal either. So only a forced shutdown of the VM is possible. Back to .15 and all works great with the latest VB build and guest extensions, er...additions installed.

Thanks.