How do I connect my Android VM to Wifi?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Justaguy
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows and Solaris.

How do I connect my Android VM to Wifi?

Post by Justaguy »

After installing Android-x86 9 and going through around 30 Kernel panics+reboots and 20 minutes worth of Bootscreen I finally got into the Setup and OS. Pretty much like any tablet without Wi-Fi, its mostly useless. So after going to the Wi-Fi settings I saw a Wi-fi Network called 'VirtWifi'. I connected to it aaaand... Connected, No Internet How can I connect it to WIFI? Is there anything I can do to fix this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How do I connect my Android VM to Wifi?

Post by scottgus1 »

Justaguy wrote:I saw a Wi-fi Network called 'VirtWifi'
This is Android's workaround to allow Android to be installed in a VM that receives no Wifi adapter, like Virtualbox. All of Virtualbox's networks are wired ethernet, even when the host is connected via Wi-Fi. Android fakes itself into thinking it's on Wi-fi when it's not.

The host has to have internet, and the VM has to be able to connect to the host's network. NAT is the default Virtualbox network that can get internet into a VM. Bridged will also work, but Bridged does not always work on the host Wi-Fi. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures
Justaguy
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows and Solaris.

Post by Justaguy »

ok, but how can I connect it to the web?
Last edited by mpack on 14. Apr 2022, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There's no trick to it: just make sure that the VMs Ethernet connection is working, by making sure it's configured correctly in the VM settings. NAT is usually easiest for basic Internet. Just don't pull any stunts like static addressing, changing the MAC address etc.