vboxsf: Old binary mount data not supported, remove obsolete mount.vboxsf and/or update your VBoxSer

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
salt

vboxsf: Old binary mount data not supported, remove obsolete mount.vboxsf and/or update your VBoxSer

Post by salt »

Hello,

I installed a new Linux Virtual Machine. My host is Debian. I installed the guest additions and an update my new VM.

However, I cannot share the folder. dmesg displayed the following error messages:

vboxsf: Old binary mount data not supported, remove obsolete mount.vboxsf and/or update your VBoxService.
04:25:15.189436 automount Error: vbsvcAutomounterMountIt: Failed to mount 'myshare' on '/media/sf_myshare' because it i
timur

Re: vboxsf: Old binary mount data not supported, remove obsolete mount.vboxsf and/or update your VBo

Post by timur »

It's an old problem, mentioned also at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17728.
" If you use our Additions then you will get our kernel modules and our user-space binaries, which work together. However if you try to use our user-space binaries with the in-kernel modules you will get this."
Users have an impression that shared folder was working and after rebooting the host, it stopped.
Seems like it started from around 6.1.22, when Guest Additions are installed from ISO instead from OS. Meaning, if OS Additions work, use those.
Maybe the check failed to detect the newer kernel and, instead of mount, it called mount.vboxsf.
There, a solution is given: delete or rename mount.vboxsf link, like /sbin/mount.vboxsf. Mounting works then. But the link is again recreated.
Or remove sharing and reboot and set again under some other name.
But most likely to succeed is to mount yourself in fstab.