[Solved] Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
PandaLabs

[Solved] Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot

Post by PandaLabs »

I recently started taking a course on how to operate and use the Linux system. It shows how to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu on it. I have been running into a problem ever since the start of using Ubuntu. Now it "works" technically. When I start Ubuntu it will boot and begin loading then eventually a black screen with the Ubuntu logo on the bottom. It will usually stay indefinitely on this unless I hard reset it and boot the VM again. If I reset about 10-20 times SUCCESS we get the login screen!

This leads to the next problem if I manage to successfully boot into the login screen and login in. I now have about a 50/50 chance for it to work. It will either load to a black screen with my cursor visible and moveable and stay there indefinitely or after a few minutes load into the desktop.

This has been giving me endless headaches with trying to use the system. I get around the "boot issues" by when it finally starts I just save machine state so I can just return where I left off. The problem is occasionally ill accidentally run a command a little too big because I forgot to add limiters, wrong file path, etc... This will freeze my VM and it won't work so I have to power it off and restart the nightmare of trying to boot it back up.

This can't be normal right? Are there any possible fixes I am unaware of?

For reference
I run with
Ubuntu 20.04(64 bit)/Virtual Box 6.1.32
8GB ram
2 processors
Hardware Virtualization: enabled
Paravirtualization Interface: Default
128 MB Video Memory
Graphics Controller: VBoxSVGA
3D Acceleration: Disabled

Edit: Ive attached the logs and a screenshot of the screen it gets stuck on before login
Attachments
Screenshot_69.png
Screenshot_69.png (9.35 KiB) Viewed 37205 times
Ubuntu-2022-01-28-14-55-35.zip
(28.8 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by PandaLabs on 29. Jan 2022, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot

Post by mpack »

00:00:03.289136 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.335014 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:03.335070 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
You have Hyper-v enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
PandaLabs

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot

Post by PandaLabs »

I nearly shed a tear when it loaded it up perfectly with no resets needed this worked!!!!! Thank you so much
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot[Resolved]

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.
mmortal03

Re: [Solved] Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot

Post by mmortal03 »

Another option might be to set paravirtualization to minimal? I don't know what the consequences of this are, but I was able to get past the black screen when booting from the Ubuntu 22.04 ISO in VirtualBox 6.1.34 r150636.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Ubuntu 20.04 Black screen with Ubuntu Logo after boot

Post by mpack »

Nope.

The paravirtualization API setting changes the "language" VirtualBox will use when talking to a particular hypervisor-aware guest OS. If you want to talk Linux, choose KVM. If you want to talk Windows, set it to Hyper-v. Better yet leave it on auto if you don't understand what the setting does.

This has nothing to do with the OP's problem, i.e. it has nothing to do with what (if any) physical hypervisor is enabled by the host. There is no way to affect the configuration of the host OS with any VirtualBox setting.