Regarding Nvme extension pack source code.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DRG-phdstudent

Regarding Nvme extension pack source code.

Post by DRG-phdstudent »

Hello I am Dongjoo seo who Ph.D. student at University of California, Irvine.
I am interested in the nvme driver in extension pack.
I already developed the host and guest level software stack of linux kernel and left step is connected with extension pack.
Can I request the extension pack source code for research purpose or How can I discuss about this with whom in here?

Best
Dongjoo Seo
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Regarding Nvme extension pack source code.

Post by scottgus1 »

You might want to look here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Technical_documentation

And try asking the devs on the IRC https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/IRC.

The Extension Pack is under a different license, and I don't know if the EP is open-source.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: The Extension Pack is under a different license, and I don't know if the EP is open-source.
It is definitely not. In fact I believe part of the reason the extension pack exists is to be a wrapper for closed-source VirtualBox elements.

In the distant past VirtualBox (v2/v3) came in two versions: the OSE version (Open Source Edition) which did not include USB2 or other closed source features, and the PUEL version (Private Use and Evaluation License), which was closed source and did include USB2 etc. There was some controversy on Linux boards about whether this was truly an open source project, and to what extent OSE code differed from PUEL version etc. The controversy was resolved by having a single open source code covered by a GPLv2 license, and optional closed source plugin available in a separate download.

In some cases I believe the code was licensed from a third party, so there's no chance that the VBox devs will be able to share it. In other cases the devs simply believe that the feature gives them an edge against competitors. So again I don't believe they will not be keen to share.
DRG-phdstudent

Post by DRG-phdstudent »

mpack wrote: It is definitely not.
Thank you for your detailed information about this.
I don't want to see whole source codes about all drivers in the ext-pack.
I just want to modify the Nvme driver in there.

Actually, I already submitted one paper without this part and it got a good result without this too. But I believe that if I can modify the center of host and guest OS then we can get significant performance enhancement.

Unfortunately, Maybe I need to turn to the QEMU for this research.
BTW, Thanks again your reply!
Last edited by mpack on 19. Jan 2022, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Trim size of verbatim quote.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DRG-phdstudent wrote: I don't want to see whole source codes about all drivers in the ext-pack.
I just want to modify the Nvme driver in there.
Yes I understood that, but my point is that the NVMe module wouldn't be in the closed source plugin for VirtualBox if the devs wanted to share the source code.

You can certainly go ahead and ask them, but I think it's easy to predict which way they'll be inclined.