Unable to boot Centos 8 VM after disk size resize

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vinchie

Unable to boot Centos 8 VM after disk size resize

Post by vinchie »

Hi,

Hope you are all well.

Apologies if this has been answered but did not see any similar topic when checked a few. Need some kind advice how to restore a working Centos 8 VM. I recently increased the disk size (via GUI) and since then I am unable to boot using VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

I have attached all logs that I have and screenshot of the guest details. I desperately need to get it up and working since I have my work setup on the VM host.

Host:
Windows 10 Pro
16GB RAM

Guest:
CentOS 8

Please let me know if there is anything that I can provide to help resolve the issue.

Regards,
Attachments
14.01.2022_19.08.52_REC.png (29.19 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Logs.7z
(118.69 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to boot Centos 8 VM after disk size resize

Post by mpack »

vinchie wrote:then I am unable to boot using VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
The Guest Additions ISO is not bootable, but neither should it prevent your VM from booting from the virtual hard drive - assuming that you installed an OS there. The GAs ISO is in fact irrelevant - you should eject it so that it doesn't continue to be part of this discussion.

What filesystem is installed on the CentOS hard drive?

Don't you get some kind of error message during startup?

As an aside (not related to the unspecified error): reduce the VM to two cores. You have a 4 core host, meaning you can't dedicate 4 cores to guest OS code since it leaves the host with nada.

p.s. One session log is fine in future, we don't need four.
vinchie

Post by vinchie »

Hi,

Thanks for the response

What filesystem is installed on the CentOS hard drive?
>> xfs

Don't you get some kind of error message during startup?
>> pls refer to image
Attachments
15.01.2022_15.42.19_REC.png
15.01.2022_15.42.19_REC.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that I know nothing about xfs. Some filesystems do not react well to the statistics of the drive changing without warning. There is no such problem with EXTx or any of the Windows filesystems, but as I said, xfs means nothing to me. I don't think I've ever even heard of it being used in Linux before - though Wikipedia tells me that it's the default in Red Hat / CentOS.

So with that said, we will have to await comments from someone with xfs experience.

Did you make a backup before attempting this? If not then I suggest that you make one now, then attempt a RedHat/CentOS specific disk or boot repair tool.