Get Debian guest to boot into HD resolution

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bmwsandman

Get Debian guest to boot into HD resolution

Post by bmwsandman »

Running VB Version 6.1.30 on Win10 host
running Debian 9.13 Guest (with Guest additions)

The initial size of the guest os during login is VGA resolution

I would like the guest OS to startup in HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. How do i do this?

right now, I have to wait until after I login on the vga sized window for the guest os to resize to 1920x1080
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Get Debian guest to boot into HD resolution

Post by scottgus1 »

Guest Additions is required in the VM OS to get those high screen sizes. Then once the OS starts logging in, it should take over and control the screen size with its own controls. After you get GAs installed, web-search how to set the screen size in your VM's OS.

Prerequisites are needed before the GAs are installed in the VM. They're the same as for installing Virtualbox. See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
bmwsandman

Post by bmwsandman »

thanks for the reply.

I have GAs installed, and once i log in, everything looks good (full HD desktop)

I was curious if i get the login window full screen. right now its a small vga size window inside the full HD virtualbox window. see the attached pic
Attachments
VirtualBox_hs3linux64_10_01_2022_09_34_36.jpg
VirtualBox_hs3linux64_10_01_2022_09_34_36.jpg (114.41 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

It is up to the guest OS to ask for a particular display size - VirtualBox is not preventing it. With a legacy BIOS it typically asks for an SVGA display. With an EFI BIOS I believe you can configure it (in EFI, not in VirtualBox). Grub probably also has config options for early display options during boot - just bear in mind that graphics (pixel) modes are not typically usable by a BIOS.
bmwsandman

Post by bmwsandman »

Here you go. thanks for taking a look at this
Attachments
vbox.zip
(32.74 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was not offering to look at this. The zipped VM log should be provided as a matter of course rather than ask us to accept unsupported assertions, e.g. that you installed the Guest Additions (which I now confirm that you have - also: you are not using a fork, and graphics RAM allocation is a tad low but acceptable).

The reason I don't plan to look at this is because I'm so far not seeing a problem. Note the second paragraph of my post which deals with how an OS selects a display size during boot.
bmwsandman

Post by bmwsandman »

I've read a lot of posts about using the different graphics controller and how that affects the guest os
I'm using VMSVGA as i understand the others are being phased out.

how does this setting affect the guest OS?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

bmwsandman wrote: I'm using VMSVGA... how does this setting affect the guest OS?
It doesn't affect the guest at all, unless that guest includes a driver for it. The guest OS has no driver until it loads one during boot. Prior to that I expect it uses a generic text mode.
bmwsandman

Post by bmwsandman »

If i switch the VB guest os setting graphics controller to VBoxSVGA, the logon I previous mentioned displays in full hd as expected.

how are these two controller options different?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

bmwsandman wrote:how are these two controller options different?
See the manual, https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03. ... gs-display, section 3.6.1. Screen Tab, Graphics Controller

The ability of VboxSVGA to run the logon screen at the desired size while VMSVGA cannot may theoretically have to do with Guest Additions drivers being able to load for the one and not for the other at that stage of the boot process. Just a guess, though. A full perusal of the source code might get you better information.

Meanwhile, if you cannot find the place inside the VM OS to force a particular screen size during login, or the force does not take effect, and your VM can run OK on the VboxSVGA card, then go for it.