Linux guest additions break when remoting into VM

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
somethingClevr

Linux guest additions break when remoting into VM

Post by somethingClevr »

Hello all,
I have a Debian VM (windows hosted) with guest additions installed. When I get into the vm through the virtualbox manager, I get no errors or problems whatsoever and the guest addition works fine. However, if I remote desktop into the VM, I get slammed with a screen full of "vboxclient failure waiting for event, rc= verr_invalid_function" errors that continuously pop up. Initially I thought i set up guest additions incorrectly.
I redid the setup following instructions from dwave, which I unfortunately cannot post the link to yet. ( new account, but I can still share the commands if needed.)
But if i remote in, I still get slammed with errors.
My question is this: Is remoting into a VM with guest additions a known no no? or have I actually set up the guest additions incorrectly?

Thank you for any assistance! I am relatively new to using VM's so i will really appreciate any advice.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Linux guest additions break when remoting into VM

Post by scottgus1 »

somethingClevr wrote:Is remoting into a VM with guest additions a known no no?
Shouldn't be, I've done it a lot.
somethingClevr wrote:have I actually set up the guest additions incorrectly?
We'll need to see a log for this one.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Remote in and cause the problem, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)

Please also post the exact error message you get, and also the remote server software you're using inside the VM, the remote client program, and the network channel you're using: remote into the host then the VM, to the VM OS itself, etc.
somethingClevr

Post by somethingClevr »

Thank you for your help! And I apologize for the late reply. I got sick and this was the last thing on my mind haha. Anyways. The .prev file and the log are atached.
Im remoting into the host using remote desktop. The host is a windows server 2019. My end goal is to just remote into the VM itself from a windows 10 machine (currently using xorg to attempt to do that), but right now I have been remote desktop into the server, then go into the vm through virtualboxs menu.
The error that I can see is "VBoxClient:failure waiting for event,rc=VERR_INVALID_FUNCTION".

This is the guide i followed:
https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-instal ... debian-10/

Again, thank you for your time :)
Attachments
SYSLOG.zip
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
SYSLOG-2022-01-12-15-59-04.7z
(18.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I just tripped over this topic from January, it looks like this conversation was never concluded. For posterity I would suggest that enabling 3D acceleration is not necessary if you're going to be remoting into the VM. I don't actually know that this would cause problems, but I'm pretty sure it can't help.